This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Almost constant ache in upper abdomen

49 y/o f, 5'5", 130, who got an ache in upper abdomen between end of bra and navel about 10 days ago. Is not related to anything I eat. Can eat or not eat and pain is same. The only thing that seems to help pain is lying down or sitting. Ache increases with movement, walking, standing and rolling over in bed, even sneezing. The ache is not a sharp pain, but a dull ache. Kind of like having been hit in the diaphragm. Does not hurt to the touch, but about 30-45 seconds AFTER pushing on it, my stomach ache will increase and then let up slightly.Went to dr. Monday and had a CBC, urinalysis and abdominal X ray. All normal, except said I had lots of bowel movement backed up down the left side. I took milk of magnesia and had lots of loose bowel movements, but the ache is still there. The liver profile will be back today or tomorrow. Dr. gave me kapidex and have taken it for four days to no avail. Ache seems to get worse when I worry about it or get that rush of adrenaline that comes when you think about something you forgot to do or think of something you're dreading doing. I honestly don't think this is digestive. It feels more like soreness, like my intestines are twisted up or flailing around and are sore. Only thing I can think of that MAY have brought it on is that I started a workout regimine in January and do it every other day. It's 30 minutes and ends with yoga positions. There's a lot of twisting of upper abdomen, but don't know why it would just NOW start hurting? I have had a complete hysterectomy 10 years ago and have no apprendics or gall bladder. What do you think this sounds like and what tests would you recommend? I'm very worried and don't know where else to turn? Does this sound serious?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
There are a variety of causes for upper abdominal pain.

This can include an ulcer, GERD, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, as well as liver or gallbladder disease.

Tests to consider would be an upper endoscopy, or upper GI series, which can look at the digestive tract.  Imaging the abdomen can be considered to exclude liver and gallbladder disease.

I would also obtain blood tests to look for H pylori if an endoscopy isn't done.

These options can be discussed with your personal or GI physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

Discussion is closed