Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Ammonia Odor in Stool

I am 31 yrs. old, very active and try to eat well. I recently had an episode where there was a very strong ammonia odor present during bowel movements.

I had my last blood test appoximately 6 mos. ago and all levels were normal.

What could possibly be the cause of this odor?  What actions should I take?

I am not aware of disease that can cause an ammonia odor in the stool.  

The most common ammonia-related disease is with chronic kidney disease leading it an ammonia-like breath smell.  Sometimes urine that sits for awhile can smell like ammonia - thus any possible fistula (i.e. abnormal connection) between the bowels and urinary system can possibly lead to stools smelling like ammonia.  

Another consideration may be fetor hepaticus - a distinctive, sweel breath smell that is associated with severe liver disease.  Again, I cannot make a connection with the stool.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem