Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Asthma-like attacks

I have recently started a period of anxiety disorder which has resulted in bloating of the stomach, upper abdominal distension, aching/tightness in the thorax/throat, difficulty swallowing, a persistent cough (which has been chronic in the past three years), mucous and a 'tickle' irritating my larynx and a gentle spasm with 'butterflies' in my chest.

My heart rate is at times up to 90 beats per minute and my blood pressure is at times elevated - I am aware of my state of anxiety and I have not been sleeping well and have mild panic attacks. I recently lost alot of weight too quickly as a result of dieting and my wife has just given birth, so perhaps these are part-reasons for my anxiety.

What I would like to know is why I seem to have this persistent cough, the 'tickly' mucous and a feeling I am about to have  breathing/ panic attacks (which seem to start at the larynx). I had such 'asthma-like' breathing attacks a couple of years ago and do not want to have them again. They are very frightening and I believe originate as a result of the mucous around the entrance to the bronchioles and my heightened anxiety state.

I am 6' tall and now weigh 15 stones.

I have been taking Omeprazole, which seems to have reduced the bloating but I still get a horribly 'furred' tongue and the tickly, sticky mucous cough...these are persistent and causing great distress.

I can tell you that I had investigative work performed down my oesophagus and into my stomach a few years ago with indications of redness, but nothing else worth noting.

Please can you suggest why ? I believe resolving this problem might help to relieve my anxiety and improve my general health condition.

With thanks,

NelsonAAA
There are 3 major reasons for unresolved, undiagnosed persistant cough.  They would be asthma, GERD, and chronic sinusitis/post-nasal drip.  They can be evaluated via pulmonary function tests, a 24-hr pH study, and a sinus CT respectively.

I would discuss each of these causes and their subsequent evaluation with your personal physician.  Omeprazole would address the GERD, but focused treatment may be needed for asthma (i.e. inhalers) and sinusitis (i.e. antibiotics and an ENT evaluation).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I'll be away until January 4th - I will answer your question when I return.

Happy holidays,
Kevin, M.D.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem