Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Belching

I cannot belch or burp.  Never have been able.  Once or twice in my life time by accident.  I'm a 49 old male.  I've be to a Gast. Doctor last year.  He check out everything down there-Barrett's Esoph... One doctor says maybe my Gerd is too small.  My last doctor says we could operate but wouldn't recommend the procedure.  Is there any medication or procedures to assist me in trying to Burp.  Burp Classes?  It's very concerning and embrassing to have my kids and wife belching around me but I cannot.  Please advise
The upper endoscopy, which I assume was done, would rule out many of the major upper digestive disorders that can lead to these symptoms.  

Obtaining more specialized tests, like a 24-hr pH study and esophageal motility studies - looking for GERD and motility disorders respectively - can also be considered.

If negative, there may not be a discrete GI disease present that can explain the symptoms.  

Appropriate treatment of the Barrett's esophagus is crucial, as this can lead to esophageal cancer if not appropriately addressed.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem