Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Bile Duct Damage

Posted By Cathy S. on October 14, 1998 at 10:48:40:

Ten years ago I had my gallbladder removed and had complications that required a 5-month hospital stay.  I was told that the complications were due to liver damage during the surgery.  Until four months ago, I had had no other problems.
I had started vomiting bile on a regular basis which led me to seek medical help.  I had several tests that determined my bile duct was damaged from the surgery I had ten years ago and was impending the flow of bile from my liver.  My doctors tried to insert a stint in the duct, but it is too damaged.
The next suggestion was to replace the duct with a vein from my leg, however, I can't find any surgeons in the Lubbock, TX area willing to do the surgery.  What are my chances of being well after a surgery like this and what are my chances if I don't have the surgery.  Is there any literature out about this kind of problem.
My bilirubin count continues to increase and I have gained 10 pounds within the last two weeks.  Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem