This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
Blood Test Results
I have been unwell for 5 months, suffering from diarrhoea, excessive gas, tender places in the abdomen around the intestinal tract and general weakness & lethargy.  I have gained more than 20 pounds in a year even though I have eaten a diet that should have produced the reverse result.  I am normally a very active & strong person with a sharp mind.  I now feel very frustrated with myself because I really do feel as if someone came along & pulled the power cord out of my body    Blood test results received show.  Bilirubin 0.01 mg/dl Iron 173.00 ug/dl Total iron 400 ug/dl.  Total colesterol 264 mg/dl. Triglicerides 68 mg/dl. ColesterolHDL 81 mg/dl Colesterol LDL 169.4 mg/dl. Basophil 1.3% VPM 11 u3.

These are the stated abnormalities.  All other results for hormones & allergies are fine.  No parasites showed up in my feces samples either.

I live in the Canaries so have plenty of fresh vegetables & fruit available.  I eat a lot of fresh fish & little meat. Obviously I live in a wonderful climate so I spend lots of time outdoors.

Please can you give me any information to help me understand why I am just not functioning as I normally do whilst I am waiting for my ecography which will enable me to have an appointment with my consultant.

Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
The lab results shows a high LDL ("bad cholesterol") level - I certainly would have this addressed.

Regards to the diarrhea and lethargy.  A lower endoscopy would be a reasonable next test to evaluate this.  Inflammatory bowel disease and malabsorption should be evaluated for.  Testing the stool for fat malabsorption can also be considered.  

Blood tests to evaluate the blood count and thyroid tests (to evaluate for anemia and thyroid disorders) should be considered.  More specialized tests, such as blood tests to evaluate for celiac disease, can be considered.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician or be referred to a GI specialist.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed