Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Can Sludge in the Gallbladder cause pain

I was just diagnosed with sludge in the gallbladder and a polyp on the outside, can this cause pain/discomfort, I'm hearing conflicting stories. What would be the main symptoms of this condition?

I was also found to have sludge in my gallbladder after an ultrasound with tiny (sand) stones.  And I'm here to tell you that YES it can cause pain.  I was having the worst burning pain in my chest (like indigestion/heartburn), I was having pain in my right side that would radiate up to my right shoulder.  I was also naseuated and had diarrhea.  Sick, sick, sick.  I had my gallbladder removed on May 4.  I'm still having problems with the burning in the chest and am scheduled to have an EGD in the morning.  Cross your fingers for me.
Wow, Thanks for the feedback. Reading a some of the posts on this forum, sometimes taking the gallbladder out does not seem to always fix the problem, maybe its a hit or miss type thing. I'm wondering was your pain/discomfort more of a constant nature or just based on when you ate certain foods, because this also seems to be conflicting, some say only after eating certain foods others say more of a constant type discomfort with flareups when certain foods are eaten. Any comments and yes I wish you well in your upcoming procedure.
Having my g/b removed fixed all my problems except for the burning in my chest.  It comes and goes.  Some weeks (like this one) I'm fine and then other weeks it is horrible.  I can't seem to connect it to eating certain types of foods.  That is why I'm having the EGD and seeing the gastroenterologist.  To try and find out why it comes and goes.  Before my g/b was removed the symptoms were constant.  After my surgery I was wonderful for 4 1/2 weeks and then the burning in the chest came back.
I just received the results from a gall bladder ultrasound yesterday, I was told I have no stones but do have sludge.
My symptoms have been constant pain below my right lower rib, flatulence after eating fatty foods, and occasional chest or back pain.  Food does not seem to affect the pain one way or the other. I have been looking for treatments other than surgery, as I want to hold on to my body parts for as long as I can.  I have found a good deal of info, on this site and others about gall bladder/liver flush.  I am going to give this a try first, and see how it works.  If it goes as well as many people say it has for them,  I believe surgery can be avoided.

Mark
Mark,

You've got basically the same symptoms that I do, I spoke with a radiologist today and he said that the pains we get are typical of the sludge/sand in our gallbladder. He said generally you don't get the more severe type of attacks after eating a high fat meal as you would if you had stones, but nevertheless you still have the pain. I like you rather put off having it taken out if I can, but maybe since both sisters and Mother had theirs out for stones, It may be just a matter of time, (but I hope not).
I'm still scheduled for a colonoscopy this Monday, just to make sure nothing is going on in there.

Let us know what treatment options you are considering for your situation, you mentioned a "flush" have you researched that? Hows it work?

Mel
I had sludge in my gallbladder, and had to have it removed.  The Dr. told me that flushing it would only cause temporary relief.  My understanding is when their is sludge, the gallbladder is "dying" and therefore cannot process everything.  But, good luck with yours.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem