Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Can’t eat or drink, nothing stays down, nausea, vomit, severe stomach pain (alcohol)

I rushed my diabetic husband to the ER last Saturday.  He is a heavy alcohol drinker.

It started Wed., vomited really bad until the next day with diarrhea (was on antibiotics for ear infection).  Next 3 days, Thurs, Fri, Sat still very sick vomiting with severe stomach pain.   He can not eat his stomach was so painful, even vomits water. Nothing stayed down for 4 days, I had suspicion of dehydration, he was very pale.  I rushed him to the ER Saturday night, they put him on IV, dextrose and was given  Nexium and Zofran through IV.  It helped.  For pain they gave morphine. They wanted to monitor my husband so he was admitted in the hospital.

First diagnosis is Gastroenteritis.   My husband is constantly feeling nausea and stomach pain so he was having IV shots of Zofran and morphine every 4 hours.  Sunday morning, he was able to eat clear diet (jello, sorbet, soda). At night he ate 2 tsp of mashed potato, some gravy, 2 tsp of beef broth.  It reacted, got severe stomach pain, nausea & vomiting till next day noon. (He ate very little but his sugar reads high 268).

Today Monday, another diagnosis Bronco-Pneumonia. The doctor wanted to release my husband, he said antibiotics can be taken at home.  I’m in disbelief, because my husband is not close to getting well & without dextrose he will be dehydrated again.   They gave him anti-nausea & morphine, that helped, then was able to eat clear diet and slept. At night he ate 4 tsp of cream wheat soup, it reacted again, nausea, vomit & pain. The doctor may release him tomorrow, but he’s not well. I’m desperate it's 3am & searching for answers. My husband is addicted to alcohol but he is a good man, he works hard in his job & I love him so much. He promised to stop the drinking alcohol.  Please help!
I would evaluate for various upper GI disorders if the symptoms continue.

An upper endoscopy or upper GI series would be the recommended initial tests.  An ulcer, inflammation of the upper GI tract, or GERD can all be considered.

If those tests are negative, more specialized tests like a gastric emptying scan or 24-hr pH study to exclude gastroparesis or reflux respectively can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI consultation.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem