Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Chronic Adbdominal Pain and Nausea

Hi, there.  I'm a 20-year-old male college student.  For the past ten months, I have been suffering from chronic abdominal pain and nausea.    The pain is a sort of dull ache in my stomach, not sharp or crampy.  I get intensely nauseated but do not vomit.  The intense episodes come in spells, but I operate with a low level of nausea  and general "squishiness," for lack of a better term, almost all the time.  Sometimes I get intestinal cramps, but this is not nearly as common as the other two symptoms.  Also, another odd little symptom that is worth mentioning is that I often suffer from canker sores in my mouth.

I have been tested for just about everything: ulcers, heliobacter, gallbladder, tumor and cancer, celiac disease, gastroparesis, etc.  So far, the doctor has found nothing.  These symptoms are making it hard to meet the demands placed on me by school and work.  I often call in sick at my job, and I've missed a lot of classes.  I don't mean to sound pitiful, as I know there are people who are worse off than I am, but being nauseated all the time is sapping my will to live.
I agree with the workup thus far.  Although likely already done, I would at least consider an upper endoscopy and abdominal ultrasound to rule out liver/gallbladder disease as well as upper digestive tract disease.

More specialized testing can be done with a gastric emptying scan or 24-hr pH study with esophageal motility testing.

If the tests continue to be negative, you can look outside the GI system.  Various neurological diseases can lead to chronic nausea.  A brain MRI would be a reasonable start to explore this possibility.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have had similar symptoms for the past 3 months; morning nausea,  morning vomiting, and pain right below my right rib.

I have had several tests conducted: An upper GI endoscopy with biopsy, abdominal ultrasound, barium GI test, stool samples for y pylori, etc. Everything came up negative except for inflammation in the stomach.

My second Gastroenterologist doesn't know what is causing the stomach inflammation. He put me on Aciphex, which has done nothing for the past month. The only drug that has kept me from feeling extremely nauseous and kept me from vomiting was Phenergan.

I have been taking 1000 mg of MSM and 1000 mg Fish oil capsules with DHA  120mg, EPA 180mg at night and in the morning and that has helped much more than the Aciphex, but I am still slightly nauseous every morning. I'm hoping someday to find a cure, rather than just treating the symptoms.

Goodluck. I know how miserable it can be living like this.
I'm not as severe as the above mentioned, but have had abdominal pain for the last 6 days. I don't have nausea or heartburn syptoms, but my stools are dark and round with a slight smell. There is also a small area right above my belly button that is somewhat tight, but this has been present for years. I have been taking Pepcid Complete and Pepto-Bismol on and off since the beginning.

About me: I'm a 39 year old male

Can someone please give me a short diagnosis as to what can be causing my pain
I have had both an endoscopy and an abdominal scan, as well as a HIDA test.  All of them came back negative.

vegasmma: thanks, good luck to you as well.
You "may" have a hemangioma on your liver.
Here's my story.
Back in 04 a hemangioma was found on my liver when getting a routine ultrasound for a bladder condition. At that time my Dr decided to send me for a Tagged Red Blood Cell test to confirm that it was just a hemangioma. The Tagged Red Blood Cell test confirmed that it was a hemagioma so the Dr decided that it was best just watch it and sent me for ultrasounds every year to track it's progress since I wasn't having any problems or pain & it wasn't increasing in size.
In early June of this year 2007, I started having intense pain on my right side near my gall bladder along with bloating, nausea & stomach upset.  
I was sent for an  ultrasound & no stones were found in my gall bladder. They sent me home with Protonix and said call us in 2 weeks. I called them in 8 days and said I was feeling no better, still had pain in my side and constant nausea. They then said that maybe I had an ulcer and sent me for an endoscopy which came back normal. I then insisted that a HIDA scan and CT scan be done as I was not accepting that my condition was STILL acid reflux. The CT scan showed the liver hemangioma increased in size. I am now waiting for another consult with my Gastro Dr on Aug 27th   for him to discuss "options" with me on what to do.
I am going to look into RFA radio frequency ablation of the hemangioma if need be as I do not want surgery.
PLEASE DAR239 ask your Dr for an ultrasound of your liver.

The forum on this site is VERY informative and I've learned alot.
See the message board on this site concerning liver hemangiomas as well.
http:www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/massages/37713.html
Good luck. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

good morning! i am writing this to you because i have a 15 yr old daughter who also suffers with the same as you. She has gone through this for the last two years. She was a home bound student last year, and so far has not attended school at all this year. She suffers from this. We have done test after test, with everything coming  back negative. I feel for you. The last doctor we took her to told us that it is all stress related. Can someone have stomach pain for two years and it just be stress. Is there ever going to be one day that she dont have stress? No one can hurt everyday like this and not have frustration levels beyond belief. She has lost all faith in the medical community. This also caused me to miss alot of work due to her illness. The doctors have thrown their hands in the air on this. It is sad that no one can help both of you. Somedays i feel like screaming out for help! Please if you find an answer please let us know. We have even taken her to pysch and therapy sessions, with no help. Therapy should have helped relieve some stress, but she still suffered pain through all of the sessions. Good luck to you!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem