Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Constant Mid Upper Abdominal Pain

I am a 27 year old female who has been having pretty constant mid upper abdominal pain-moderate for 3 1/2 weeks now.  It started when I was on Zithrmax for a sinus infection.  It is usually worse at night.  I have a history of hemangiomas(largest is under 3cm) and possibly 1 hepatic adnemoma which my doc says he is not concerned about.  I had a CT scan done in October.  My general doc sent me in for an UGI which came back normal and have had numerous blood work(pancreas, liver, CBC and h.pylori) all came back normal.  When pain is at its worst, it sometimes travels to my back, below my shoulder blades.  I also had my gallbladder out 2 years ago and had an ERCP the day before the surgery.  The pain can sometimes run to either the left or right side under my ribs, but mostly its in the middle.  It is located high in the upper abdominal region.  I have also tried Protonix which has really done nothing.  Like I said, the pain is usually worse at night but I do have "tenderness" almost always.In the last 3 1/2 weeks, I've had 2 days without any pain.  When I lie down at night, I sometimes have an empty stomach feeling.  I even have a hard time taking deep breathes although I do have a history of anxiety.  I feel very bloated and distended all the time.  I also tend to drink a lot of pop(not caffefine free) and I do  smoke about 10 cigarettes a day.  My general doc told me to make an appointment with an internalist which I am in search of. I have no fever or nausea and otherwise feel fine, only stressed.  Could something be related to the antibiotics?  Or is probably just a coincidence?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I have had 2 CT scans done in the last 2 years since they found the tumors on the liver ( found incidently from ultrasound on gallbladder).  Showed no growth on hepatic adenoma and possible 1 cm growth on hemangioma but general doc had tests ordered and there was never a side to side comparison done.  Liver doc thinks there may have not even been growth.  I had just had a baby 4 months before having the 2nd CT scan and I know hormones can make them grow.  Is there also a chance it could be anxiety related?  I had moderate pain tonight, ate pizza which then made it worse, took 2 tums and then pain subsided somewhat but that is not always the case. There feels like there is always a heaviness as more so than pain during the day. I know I gave you a lot of info but I thought the more the better to explain to you.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Any antibiotic can cause GI side effects such as an upset stomach or stomach cramps.  It is also possible that anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms.  However, before attributing it to that, you may want to make sure that nothing more serious is going on.

I would consider an upper endoscopy if the discomfort continues.  This is a more comprehensive test than the upper GI series and can evaluate for inflammation of the upper digestive tract as well as ulcers.  A 24-hr pH study can also be considered if GERD is suspected, but not seen on the previous tests.  

I would also consider a test for H Pylori - this is a bacteria that is associated with ulcers and inflammation.  This can be done via a blood test and treated with antibiotics if positive.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I did have the blood test for H.Pylori done which came back negative.  I'm fine all night long and when I wake up I think about it and the heaviness or pain occurs.  When I'm busy, I don't notice it as much.  Bending over at the computer though is probably one of the worst positions.  If it was antibiotics, would I still be having problems after all most 4 weeks.  Thanks, Adrienne
Have you been check for Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction???
Kris
It doesn't sound like sphincter of oddi dysfunction just from the fact that I had my gallbladder removed and I had an ERCP performed which I imagine they would have caught.  I wonder about IBS which I know I have but my general doc told me that I wouldn't have constant pain.
I developed sphincter of oddi dysfunction after my gallbladder was removed (6 years ago, 1998)  In 2000, I was checked with ERCP w/manometry and the dr. only checked pressure in the bile duct and said I was fine.  2 years later in 2003, I was checked again and had to have a biliary sphincterotomy.(the sphincter muscle was clamped shut and had high pressure)  In march 2004, the pressure was checked in the pancreatic duct and was found to be high and therefor it needed to be cut. SOD usually shows up after the gallbladder is removed.
Thanks Kristen. I will talk to my doctors about that.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem