Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Could something besides gallstones cause panreatitus?

On Sat March 2, I woke up with a stomach ache (The night before I had indulged in a sausage hot link). By noon on Sat, I had chills and an unbleievable pain in my upper right abdomen (I thought I had the flu). Could not eat and everytime I did, the pain would get worse. On Mon Dr thought it was flu. Finally Tuesday at 4pm I had Untrasound of Gallbladder-nothing showed up. By 7 pm I was at emergency room- could not take pain any more. They put me on IV for dehydration & gave me pain killers. They ran blood tests-my amylase was 2100 & my Lypase was elevated (Pancreatitus). All other blood work was good. By Wed eve I was feeling better and needed no pain killers. Thurs they did CT scan & Hyda scan (which the dye made me sick)& Ultrasound. They showed nothing but Ultrasound showed slight inflamation in the Gallbladder & Pancreas. The Dr assumes this was due to a Gall Stone I may have passed & wants me to have an ERCP after things settle down. He also said, if you get one stone, you will get more so I should consider removing Gallbladder. All of this scares the heck out of me. I am a 33 yr old female, 5'8" & 135 lbs, in good shape & active. My diet is good, I did indulge once in a while but have always ate well. I wonder if the sausage I ate the night before triggered all this. I was released on Friday but still have this bloated feeling in my upper abdomen when I eat but am feeling better other than that. Amylace level has dropped. They want to do ERCP to see if a stone is blocking bile duct? I am scared to do ERCP, any other ideas on what this could be? Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My sister-in-law had pancreatitis with her gallstones and had her gallbladder out with a very simple "band-aide" surgery. The pancreatitis is more serious than gallstones so you should follow your doctors advice to have your gallbladder out. Another cause of pancreatitis is alcohol.
You asked about the sausage triggering all of this, so I thought I'd give you a comment---
(fatty foods are something you should stay away from!)

My husband has "sludge" in his gallbladder, and once in a while gets a pancreatitis attack. Anything fatty can bring it on.
What exactly is sludge in the gallbladder?  I am reluctant to just doing and ECRP and/or remove the gallbladder when they have not seen a sign of a stone thus far and are not even sure if thats the problem.  (you hear of so many people where they remove the gallbladder and they still have problems or stones & the ECRP can cause a Pacreatitus attack- so if I am not in pain now, why risk causing an attack).  I am interested in other things this could be.  They asked if I had ulcers but never looked into it any furhther.  I am interested more about what the sludge is?  Thank you.
Hi cwitt
I was going to just tell you that "sludge" was little particles of ****, not big enough to be called stones. But that sounded terrible and not very accurate. lol
So I found some sites that explain it better.
Take a look at

http://www.gutdoc.com/gallstones.html
it says:
Gallstones vary in size. They may be as small as tiny specks, or as large as a small ball. The vast majority measure less than 20 mm, about 1 inch, across. Over time gallstones may grow in size and/or numbers. However, many gallstones remain the same size for years.
Gallbladder sludge occurs when multiple crystals of cholesterol and bilirubin pigments accumulate within the gallbladder but do not fuse together to form a gallstone. Gallbladder sludge typically occurs with fasting and resolves spontaneously. In some, but not all persons, gallbladder sludge can develop into gallstones. In the majority of cases, gallbladder sludge is asymptomatic. However, sludge may cause symptoms identical to those attributed to gallstones.

and
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/Art.asp?li=MNI&ArticleKey=8402
calls it "biliary sludge"

and
http://papa.essortment.com/symptomsgallbla_refb.htm
has some advice on foods to avoid

Hope this helps
Yes, fatty foods bother a bad gallbladder. Another confirmation that your gallbladder is the culprit of your problem. Sure there could be complications of left behind stones, but that's pretty rare. Most of the time if they "suck" the gallbladder out through tiny holes, it's outpatient surgery with a very short recovery, I think around a week compared to 6 weeks for the old open surgery. They could do an ultrasound after your surgery to make sure no stone was left.
Thank you so much for the info.  I have decided at this point to wait it out and get a second opinion.  Even the regular Dr at the hospital did not agree with the GI Dr to just remove the gallbladder when we have not found a stone at this point.  Sludge would make sense.  I am comfortable and no pain.  My biggest concern is the feeling full/bloated feeling after I eat.  I have been on a strict diet (low fat-very healthy and taking herbs) and still eating smaller meals.  I have not talked to anyone who has had this happen before, to find out if they felt like this while they were still healing up.  My family keeps trying to remind me that my pancreas went through a lot and needs to heal & my stomach probably shrunk due to not eating all those days. I have been out of the hospital a week tonight, maybe I expected to feel better sooner.  When your husband had his Pancreatitus attacks did he feel full when he ate (while he was healing after the attack)?  I appreciate any info- if I knew this was normal I would not worry so much.  You can email me at ***@**** if you would like.
Thank you again.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem