Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Diets

I am 29 yrs old and 1.62m in height and my weight is 82kg.  I have been actively watching/doing something about my weight since 17 October 1997.  However, within the first 2 months I lost a total of 10Kg.  I have for the last 7 months been going up and down like a rollercoaster within 2kg's.  I can't seem to lose any more weight.  What is the recommended weight for me.  How can I lose more weight easier.  I have taken up Gym averaging 3 times per week where I cycle for 15 minutes and do circuit for 20 minutes.  I heard that it shouldn't matter what you eat as long as you eat in moderation and excercise regulary.  One shouldn't gain weight.  Well, this is not happening with me.  I am now tired of struggling to lose weight, I am desperate for easier methods.
  HELP!!!!!!!!!
Dear Monika,
Many physicians and dietitians base "normal" weight on a table published by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. The values on this table are based on statistical computations from individuals ranging from 25 to 59 years of weights by height and body frame at which mortality has been found to be the lowest or longevity the highest. This has been termed the "ideal" body weight. The term "ideal" is only appropriate in the context that these are the weights that have been found to be consistent with the lowest mortality. If one looked at the 1983 Metropolitan Height-Weight table for a women 162.5 cm tall, the weight for a small body frame is between 47.3-52.3 kg, for a medium frame the weight is between 51.4-57.3 kg and for a large frame the weight is between 55.5-62.3 kg. It must be kept in mind that these tables do not provide weights related to minimizing illness, optimizing job performance or creating the best appearance.
Many strategies for losing weight have been tried over the years, because as a rule, losing weight and keeping it off are extremely difficult. Of patients who lose significant amounts of weight, 80-90% regain it. A balance between energy intake and energy expenditure determines body weight. Therapies available for obesity include diet, exercise, behavior modification, drugs and surgery. You need to carefully review your current diet and exercise regimen. This may require the help of a good dietitian, weight loss support group and maybe an exercise physiologist (sports trainer). It is important to realize that as you exercise you reach a plateau at which point the only way to lose more weight is to intensify your workout. I would only advocate other approaches under the guidance of your physician. Good luck to you.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you wish to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: body weight, obesity, diet, exercise, treatment

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem