Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Digestive issues, bacterial infection, weight loss

For the last 3 months I have developed a number of bizarre symptoms that I cant seem to shake.  I am usually a healthy guy and never get sick.  I developed a sore swollen throat with white spots on tonsils and ulcers around uvula and towards esophagus.  Also white coated tongue and for awhile burning mouth and frothy saliva.  My doctor definitely confirmed a yeast bacterial infection but nothing like thick curdlike pictures of thrush.  I had an issue with acid reflux about a month into it as well and have off and on taken prilosec and nexium.

I was taking oral Nystatin but that upset my stomach very much.  Last week my doctor gave me the pill version that said it was for vaginal yeast infections even though I am a guy so I guess thats okay.  In addition, I have had issues with warm feeling at times in right armpit, chest and upper right side but not as much lately.  At one point my intestines were very noisy and I was frequently passing undigested food and often it was diahrhea.  I was very concerned with HIV infection over a girl I was seeing but my test last week was negative at almost 4 months out.

I was tested late April for stomach ulcers liver and kidney functions all normal.  My CBC was taken and my neutrophils was 69%, monocytes 9%, and lymphs 20%.  Last week those numbers changed to neutrophils 59%, monocytes 9% and lymphs 29%.  My WBC dropped from 8.9 to 7.7.  Doctor wasn't concerned on either test.

I have been trying to cut back on carbs to help with bacterial infection and take Culturelle as a probiotic but my spit tests aren't getting any better.  I get periodic tingly feelings like the sensation a rain drop is hitting me in random spots. I'm even drinking calorie protein and vitamin drinks.  I have this constant uneasy tummy feeling but lately no real pain of any kind.  Doc said I could see an ENT if I wanted about my throat.  I'm 38 and 6' 3".  I'm down to 170 versus 179 3 months ago.  Do I wait this out or what?
I would further evaluate the upper digestive tract to look at the extent of the possible fungal infection in the mouth, and to see how far down it spreads.  

I do agree with your physician in that the CBC doesn't seem to be markedly abnormal.

At this time, an upper endoscopy can be considered.  In addition to evaluating for oral fungal infection, it can also look for GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

Another consideration would be imaging the abdomen with an ultrasound or CT scan.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem