Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Do all bile duct obstructions have to be cancer ?

My father a generally healthy 54 year old has recently been diagnosed with a bile duct obstruction after having and ERCP.  The doctor thought that it might be a gallstone stuck in the bile duct but as it turns out its not.  They have done brushings and so far they have been coming back negative for cancer? The doctor said still to not get our hopes up it still could be a carcinoma ? He has lost 30 pounds over the course of 2 months while all these tests have been going on but now after inputing the stent in the obstruction he is feeling better. Has anyone had problems with bile duct obstructions ?
Bile duct obstructions and pancreatic duct obstructions are completly common with someone who has pancreatitis.  Has your father been tested for this at all?  I have found that alot of doctors don't usually check for this unless certain conditions apply.  Such as over consumption of alcohol.  Having a pancreatic attack after having an ERCP is a fairly high percentage rate.

Ask your father to talk to the doctor about doing tests on the pancreas.

Sandy
I was just told Monday that I had pancreatic duct cysts. I had an ERCP 2 months ago. I have to go back in 3 months and have another ERCP to see what they are doing.
Thanks guys! I am just trying to get some more insite on bile duct obstructions.  The doctor did say that in the ERCP his pancrese looks fine.  The only real thing that they have told us so far is that his gallbladder is bad and needs to come out and that the obstruction is a very tight one that most likely will have to be removed unless it is cancerous.  Is weight loss common with gallbladder problems ?  He never eats fast food anymore or drinks soda he was overweight before but not anymore!

An ERCP is a likely cause of a pancreatic attack.  The pancreas may have looked just fine when they did the surgery, but when he came out of surgery, he may very well have had a pancreatic attack that they are overlooking.  

A non-working gallbladder can mimic pancreatic conditions.  Mine was bad, they took it out...I had a pancreatic attack that the surgeon did not believe was happening and did nothing about. Now I have chronic pancreatitis.  I know 3 people in the last year who had their gallbladder removed and have had a pancreatic attack right after surgery.  ERCP's will do that to you.  It is a very common cause of that. Weight loss is extremly common in gallbladder problems and pancreatic problems.

A severe stricture can be helped with surgery.  I had a severe stricture in my pancreatic duct.  It took 3 surgerys to take care of it, but I'm doing much better.

I am not trying to "push" a pancreatic problem on you, but PLEASE don't let the doctors overlook this possibility.  Even if they said in surgery that the pancreas looks good, I would ask for a simple blood test of a amylase and lipase test to determine levels.

Sandy
Thank you sooo much!  I am going to have him ask the doctor about it.  Its nice to have advice from others.  His doctor is wonderful but sometimes sends him home and questions are left unanswered.
I'm kinda curious, as I mentioned from my above post, my GI said I had pancreatic duct cysts. I'm really kinda freaked out my them. Before I have an attack(what I call them) I get pale floating greasy looking stool (sorry about being gross)and then the pain comes. When I do get pain its comes along with vomiting bile. I'm in my 20's, had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago.

My main concern is what are they going to do about the cysts, when he did my first ERCP 2 months ago, de dilated a stricture in the duct to, plus cut the sphincter muscle to let the bile drain. I go back to him in 3 months for repeat ERCP. I'm at a loss here.

Thanks,

Heather
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem