This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Dull, upper abdominal pain

I had my colon removed about 4 years ago. I don't have a bag, was reconnected inside. No problems regarding the surgery. However ,now I am experiencing a dull, kind of burning in my center upper abdomen. The strange part about it, when it first began, whenever I would stress about something I would immediately feel it in this area, like someone had this area gripped in a vice. I have had these same symptoms on a few other occassions and they seem to subside, but it seems a little longer this time. I had hoped that once I had the surgery this wouldn't happen anymore. I was tested for that h.pylori and it was negative. I am going to be going in for an MRI, but I don't know if that will show anything or not. I admit I do internalize things, and I have been checked for ulcers in the past, but were negative. Should I be checked again even though I have no colon? Any thoughts on what this might be? I feel fine except for this localized dull pain in my abdomen. I have taken Zantac, Prilosec,Tagamet and Maalox. Hasn't helped. I also seem to be a little constipated, but that wouldn't be causing this upper pain? Wouldn't my symptoms be more like cramping? Thanks for your time.
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Upper GI disease can be considered, including GERD, inflammation, an ulcer or gastroparesis.  

An upper GI or upper endoscopy can both be considered - with the latter being the more comprehensive test.  If gastroparesis is suspected, a gastric emptying scan can be considered as well.

The liver and gallbladder can be imaged as well with an ultrasound or CT scan.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed