Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

ERCP Gone Wrong

I had an ERCP with manometry because of SOD.  The doctor put a stent in my pancreatic duct.  Because of the preasures that built up in my stomach from the manometry my bile duct tore.  Should I have had a stent put in my bile duct so this wouldn't have happened?  Prior to this I had 2 sphincterotomies of my bile duct because of my bile duct narrowing.  Can scar tissue form in the future because of what happened?  Will I have ongoing problems because of this?  After each procedure I also got pancreatitis.  Because of this and a history of pancreatic cancer does this increase my chances of pancreatic cancer?  Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreaciated.
I cannot comment on the specific procedure without reviewing the chart and procedure not in question.

Scar tissue can be a complication of this situation, which may lead to future blockages.  

Chronic pancreatitis is a risk factor for cancer, so this should be closely monitored.  Imaging of the pancreas with an MRI can be considered if this is suspected.

These options can be discussed with your gastroenterologist.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
A related discussion, What do you suggest for my chronic pain daily? was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem