Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Eosinophilic Gastritis

I am a 28 year old female who was diagnosed with EG four years ago.  Since then, I have had 2 operations to remove 95% of my stomach, due to non-healing ulcers.  Recently, a large ulcer, with eosinophilic infiltration, was found on my stomach remnant. I am on the "prednisone, doxepin (to lower mast cell count), zyrtec, prevacid, zantac" treatment, and am fed through a jtube, as I am now unable to digest any solid food.  The drug therapy has not helped in the past and the doctors are thinking that removal of the rest of the stomach may be necessary.  Is there any other possible treatments that I could try?  I have been unable to eat real food for over 3 years and am down to 90 lbs
(5'6").  Also, is there any information available about stomach transplants, either human to human or pig to human?  I am at my wits end and willing to try anything.

PS.  The doctors do not believe my disease is caused by an allergy, as I have had all the tests.  In addition, I was born with a very high eosinophil count.

Thanks!
Dear Jen,
There is no clinical group providing stomach transplants as fas as I know.  You should taslk to your doctor about other nutritional approaches e.g. parenteral feeding if you are malnourished and continuing to lose weight.  Also ask about other immunosuppressive regimens.

This information is presented for educational purposes.  ASk specific questions to your personal physician.
Jen --

What formula are you on?  There are several of us EG/EE/EC patients on onelist who are finding that some of the supposed" elemental" formulas are really NOT.

I welcome you to join us, you might find some more helpful information and you will find several other patients with EG.. Just go to onelist.com and look up the eosinophilgastro group.

Steph.
A related discussion, feeding disorders/esocinphilic gastritis was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem