Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Esophageal spasms

Posted By Regina on October 12, 1998 at 22:53:05:

I am a 34 year old female who had the RNY gastric bypass surgery in June 1998.  It has been a success as I started at 222 lbs. and now weigh 156 lbs.  I recently had to be hospitalized for dehydration because of vomiting and after an endoscopy and an upper GI with small bowel follow through. The endoscopy was normal but the upper GI showed severe esophageal spasms that apparently caused the vomiting.  My weight loss has sped up in the past month due to the vomiting and the doctor says it is too much/too fast.  Therefore, I need to stop the vomiting.  I have been prescribed Procardia 10mg.  I really would like to know if there is any other treatment to correct this as I don't want to be on medicine forever.  I've read that that there is a laparoscopic procedure (myotomy ???).  Is this really an option?  Anything else? Thank you for any information.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem