Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Fear of stomach cancer

I'm 32 years old. Height 165 cm, weight 68 kg.  Recently delivered my 2nd baby on 22.5.2003 weight 3.26 kg. I had an Upper GT Endoscopy on 27.5.1999 revealed 1/2 of my stomach with acid, bad bacteria and the surface in my stomach looked sore due to acid.  Doctor described my situation medium to severe. Also did my ECG, blood tests and abdomen ultrasound.  All normal.  Medications given for 3 weeks with Losec, motilium and antibiotic for bad bacteria.  Then I was on Zantac for few months.  I stopped my medications after one year of the endoscopy until now.  I didn't control my food and my diet was quite bad (fried stuffs, caffeine, sweet stuffs, high in fat, tip-bits & etc.), but I'm not a smoker or on alkohol.  I'm also born to be a stressful, nervous, anxious and emotional person.

Then I had difficulty in swallowing my food and food sticking in my throat for 2 weeks 3 years back,  I took a chinese medicine and the symptoms gone until now.  I sometimes had indigestions off and on and experience burning sensation in my stomach, the symptoms get worse if I'm facing anxiety.  I also had stomach bloating if too full or continuously been eating off and on for a day.  I burp very often before and after food.  Sometimes I can feel the gas in my throat and after having American breakfast in the morning, when I burp in the afternoon, I can still smell the food. Recently my dad age 57 heavy smoker admitted due to ulcer in his oesophagus, no bad bacteria and currently on medications.  I also had a word with the doctor who treats my father and I have told him about my indigestion and I was alerted to go for endoscopy again as it may have possibility of having stomach cancer.  My mother age 54 was diagnosed with abdomen cancer 4 years ago, her cancer relapsed after chemo 1 1/2 years ago and now she is O.K. after 2nd time chemo. Besides that, my sister also having gastro problem exactly like me but combination with vomitting sometimes after food but she refuse to go for check-up. My husband age 38 as well having the same problem that I'm having.

My concern is whether I should go for endoscopy again coz I really do not know how to take it if the result came out positive as I have seen my mother suffered a lot.  I didn't do my colonscopy before. I sometimes have loosen stools and hard one, depends on the food that I'm taking but diarrhea to me nowadays take 5 days to recover with medications compare to before I had gastro problem with only 2 days of medications. Does cancer normally starts when there is an ulcer combination with pain in the stomach.  All the while I didn't have any pain or vomitting besides having the symptoms as mentioned above.  Do I have to go for colonscopy also?  If I change my diet now, will it work?  How many times do you think I should go for endoscopy with my health history as mentioned above.

I hope my information will be sufficient for your goodselves to answer my questions.

TQVM.

Regards,
99% percent of stomach cancers occur after the age of 40 and 90% percent occur over the age of 55.  With your age of 32, it would be unlikely that stomach cancer is present.  

The presence of H Pylori (the presume bacteria you are describing) however is a risk factor for stomach cancer, and this should be treated with appropriate antibiotics.  

If you are still having symptoms, I would suggest another upper endoscopy since the last one was 4 years ago.  If that is negative, and there is still problems, you may want to consider a modified barium swallow or 24-hour esophageal manometry to evaluate for any esophageal motility conditions that would cause the problems swallowing.  

Regarding the colonoscopy, it is normally recommended at age 50 if no symptoms, or age 40 if there is a family history of colon cancer.  If your mother had definite colon cancer or polyps, then I would recommend a colonoscopy at age 40.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
what chinese medicine did you take??
Your symptoms are all too familiar, the doctors are in denial with the condition see if you relate to this .If you need more info post

Dr. Truss, author of The Missing Diagnosis, is an internist in Birmingham, Alabama. He has had more than 20 years of clinical experience with over 3,000 candida patients. He is convinced that yeast is implicated in a wide variety of human ills, from depression and hormonal disturbances to allergic reactions and auto-immune diseases. Chronic yeast infections, he believes, may be a causative factor in diseases such as multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, schizophrenia, myasthenia gravis and lupus.
Article by Dr Truss
Lack of energy and digestive disturbances, arthritic joint pains, skin disease, menstrual problems, emotional instability and depression. All symptoms of what I call the 'antibiotic syndrome' which have greatly increased in frequency in recent years.
On further examination, more symptoms may be discovered. Most of the gastro-intestinal tract is tender when pressed, especially the small intestine, liver and gall bladder. There may even have been a gall bladder operation that failed to improve the condition, sometimes even worsening the symptoms.
There could be a history of thrush or oral, anal or vaginal itching. When these are present the diagnosis of Candida is obvious but it may also be present in the absence of these manifestations and that can be somewhat confusing. The yeast or fungus Candida albicans, of course, thrives during antibiotic treatment. I regard it as reckless negligence to prescribe antibiotics without simultaneous fungicides and replacement therapy with lactobacilli afterwards. I believe that this practice has greatly added to our vast pool of a chronically sick population.
However, the 'antibiotic syndrome' is not just due to Candida. I regard it more generally as a 'dysbiosis' where the wrong kind of microbes inhabit the intestinal tract, not just Candida and other fungi, but many types of pathogenic bacteria including coli bacteria which are normal in the colon but become disease-forming when they ascend into the small intestine.
If the problem has existed for years, there is usually a lack of gastric acid which then allows the stomach to be colonised by microbes, causing inflammation with pain and later, ulcers. The toxins released by the microbial overpopulation cause in addition chronic inflammation of the liver, gall bladder, pancreas and intestines. I regard it as rather likely that a chronic inflammation of the pancreas is a major contributing factor in the development of insulin-dependent diabetes.
Bacterial attack
Specific types of pathogenic bacteria appear to cause or contribute to specific auto-immune diseases. One variety of coli bacteria, for instance, produces a molecule that is very similar to insulin. When the immune system becomes activated against this molecule it may then also attack related features at the beta cells of the pancreas
Another type of bacteria, Yersinia enterocolitica, induces an immune response that attacks the thyroid gland and leads to Grave's disease with a serious overproduction of thyroid hormones.
Ulcerative colitis is linked to overgrowth with pathogenic microbes, the same as Crohn's disease, osteoporosis and ankylosing spondylitis. In ankylosing spondylitis the vertebra of the spine fuse together causing stiffness and pain. Other joints may in time become affected.
Klebsiella, another type of pathogenic bacteria, produces a molecule that is similar to a tissue type found in people with this disease. When klebsiella numbers in the gut decrease, related antibodies in the blood decrease and the condition improves.
Rheumatoid arthritis is linked to other bacteria, called proteus. Proteus is also a common cause of urinary tract infections. Women suffer urinary tract infections as well as rheumatoid arthritis twice as often as men, while men usually have higher levels of klebsiella and three times more ankylosing spondylitis than women.
In addition microbial overgrowth dam ages the intestinal wall so that only partly digested food particles can pass into the bloodstream, causing allergies. In this way all auto-immune diseases can be linked to food allergies.
While rheumatoid arthritis is a frequent feature of the antibiotic syndrome, and I regard it as relatively easy to cure, not many sufferers of this disease seem to be interested in this natural approach. The other day a young man with severe rheumatoid arthritis knocked at my door to collect money for a medically sponsored walkathon. When I told him that I do not give money for drug treatment as it can be overcome with natural therapies, he shouted: 'You are mad!' and left visibly upset.
Other auto-immune diseases that have so far been linked to dysbiosis are psoriasis, lupus erythematosus and pancreatitis. When remedies are given that bind bacterial endotoxins, these conditions usually improve. A further consequence of dysbiosis is susceptibility to food poisoning as with salmonella bacteria, while a healthy intestinal flora prevents these from multiplying and causing trouble.
Staphylococcus aureus or golden staph cause serious infections in hospital patients. It has been found that not only golden staph but also other infections are greatly potentised when they occur with a Candida overgrowth. As Candida overgrowth is a natural outcome of the standard hospital treatment, it is easy to see why golden staph is so deadly in hospitals.
A similar picture emerges with AIDS. People do not die from the AIDS virus but from Candida-potentised bacterial infections. I also see the antibiotic-induced dysbiosis in babies and infants as the main cause of their frequent infections, glue ear and greatly contributing to cot death.
While it used to be uncommon for children to have more than one or two infections a year, now more than six is the norm.
In the 1940's Candida was found in only three per cent of autopsies, now the figure is nearer thirty per cent. There are, of course, other factors that can cause dysbiosis - the contraceptive pill, steroids and other drugs, radiation treatment and chemotherapy - but the main culprit is, without doubt, antibiotics.
Closely related to Candida are the mycoplasms or pleomorphic organisms. These have been shown to be a main factor in the causation of cancer. Therefore, antifungal therapy has also major benefits in cancer treatment.
Dr Orian Truss
In 1953 Dr Orian Truss discovered the devastating effects of antibiotics in  Alabama (USA)
Tests &  Treatment
Im sure no Dr.,but you do need to have an EGD. Especially with the symptoms you mention of painful and difficult swallowing.....An EGD is the best way a Dr. can evaluate the health of your esophagus. If you are experiencing pains that might be caused from stricture  Drs. can dialate them during EGD and make swallowing much easier...They can see visually exactly what damage there might be and also, if need be, they can take biopsies of anything that looks suspicious....Tessa
PAJ,

How do you get rid of candida if you have it?

Thanks,

Kate
I can't answer your question because I don't know....I would think they would test, biopsy, any areas that look suspicious in the areas they can see during the EGD.....I know they biopsy alot for H-Pylori when doing EGDs and my personal experience has almost solely been for esophageal damage....Of course they can biopsy the esophagus if they suspect barrett's or cancer...they also can diagnose things like gastritis, duodenitis, esophagitis, ulcers, and strictures during EGD, I imagine there are many other things they can test for that fortunatey I have had no personal need to be tested for......I thought when I was told I had esophageal ulcers that I must also have H-Pylori but I found that is not always the case either....My ulcers were caused solely from the acid reflux as was the stricture......Kate, if you arent getting answers from your GI maybe its time to talk to your PCP about referring you to another Dr for a 2nd opinion.......

Ive also heard you say that you thought there might be an anxiety connection to your reflux but that you dont want to take any anxiety meds.....Alot of people seem to think there is an anxiety connection with GERD....If you doubt that read that famous post by Dr. Shipco....Have you thought about trying other ways to reduce stress and anxiety to see if it helps your symptoms? ....Guided Imagery is one option that might do some good....Right before my recent surgery, The hosp gave me two CDs to use with a head set before, during, and after surgery to help with stress...They were titled "Guided Imagery for Stressful Times" They claim it reduces hosp. stay time, helps with pain control, creates a relaxing atmosphere, enhances sleep, strengthens the immune system and enhance the ability to heal, and increases self-confidence and self-control.....I continued to use one of them during my recovery at home......One of my best friends who is fighting lung cancer also uses guided imagery while receiving her chemo......
It was just a thought I had...Hang in there....Tessa
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem