I'm a 27 Y/O male, 6'0, was about 198 pounds, now down to 188. I'm planning to get to about 175 pounds, in hopes that this will decrease my reflux.
Symptoms started about 6 months ago with a chronic cough. It lasted for 2 months. Omeprasol didnt help at all. The only thing that took it away was drinking Apple Cider Vinigar.
The ACV did wonders and things were under control. I started eating not as well, and symptoms returned. This time though, my main symptom is Sour Stomach. A horibble taste in my mouth and throat. I get it with a full or empty stomach. However, eating definatly brings it on. I'm torn between two remedies. I've tried Zantac, Prilosac and prescribed Omeprasol, and they actually greatly INCREASE my symptoms? I really never had sour stomach until using the PPI's. However, ACV seems to work, but its Acid?
I did a Barium swallow, came back normal. Recently, I've been experiecing chest pains at times. I'm scheduled for an upper edoscopy with my GI.
Heres my questions.
1. Would you suggest I purchase a hospital like bed to sleep on, so that I'm proped up as much as possible. Right now, the head of my bed is up around 12 inches, and I still have some night symptoms.
2. If Zantac and Prilosac aren't working, what other medications do you suggest I try?
3. Is going to the steam room good for the esophagous?
4. I havent tried Gaviscon, would you suggest it for me?
5. I'm eating small meals (none after 5pm), bed proped up, Antacids, etc. Are they any other modifications I could make to help?
BTW, I've never had heart burn, just sour stomach and now some moderate chest pain/discomfort at times.
Thank you very much for your time.