Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Gallbladder disease without stones....

I started seeing my doctor back in October for feeling full, nausea, vomiting, a discomfort on my right side under my ribcage, and belching. I had three sever
I would consider a referral to a GI doc.  If the EGD, ultrasound and HIDA scan was non-revealing, you are still left with options.  

The first would be a 24-hr pH study which can evaluate for GERD.  I would also consider a gastric emptying scan, which can evaluate for gastroparesis (i.e. delayed gastric emptying).  This disease can lead the the symptoms you have described.

I would consider this referral first before a laparotomy.

You may want to discuss these possibilities with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
BTW, I forgot to mention I am a 32 year old female- 5'4", 144 pounds. I do not drink or smoke and have no other medical conditions.
Given the negative testing, it's highly unlikely to be your gallbladder; and it seems premature to undergo laparoscopy. Having an appointment with a gastroenterologist seems a good move at this point.
An update to my situation- I went to the ER Wednesday morning for intense stabbing pain both on my right and left side (mostly upper quadrant). It feels like a combination of getting socked in the gut and the pain one get on their side from running. I hurts to breath deep. The pain has been slowly increasing over the week. My appetite and bowl movements are normal. Urine sample normal, no fever. The doctors on staff reviewed my recent history, and came to the same conclusion-it is my gallbladder. They gave me vicoden for the pain- and I am scheduled for surgery next week.
I had gastric reflux problems and abdominal pain. Like you, I had all the tests; however, my hida scan had a much lower ejection fraction (18%). My Dr. was also reluctant to remove the gallbladder due to no evidence of stones on the scans. Instead, he did an ERCP with sphincterotomy and made a diagnosis of SOD (Sphincter of Oddi disfunction). The procedure did not help- so I went on my own accord to the surgeon and had gallbladder out (lap chole). Anyway, I feel immensely better and no longer need the PPI's and can pretty much eat whatever again (with the help of rolaids or pepcid sometimes). I still get occasional discomfort but nothing like before and I attribute it to the supposed SOD problem. Wonder if your Doctors have considered SOD (or, maybe your ejection fraction is too high for that to be a consideration)??
Wondering if belanoday's (12-Jan-05) symptoms have improved following the cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal).
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem