Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Gastric Stapling

I have a very long history of GI problems and have undergone 4 major abdominal surgeries including: gall bladder, blocked common bile duct post-op, RuenY procedure and then a reverse of said procedure.  My last GI surgery was 17 years ago, but I continue to have reflux problems, slow motility and food remaining in my stomach for at least 2 days.  This was verified at Johns Hopkins.  I have significant orthopedic problems including a total knee replacement, rotator cuff surgery, four back surgeries with fusion, and continued back and knee pain which is wearing me out.  My orthopod suggested I try gastric stapling to get my weight down to alleviate the pressure on my joints and prevent further surgical intervention.  I am 5'2" and weigh 215 pds.  It is too painful to walk for any length of time or exercise much at all.  I used to be quite active, but my ortho problems and weight have slowed me down.  I have tried virtually every diet known to man and lose some, but never enough. I always regain the weight. Do you think gastric stapling is a possibility for me?  Thanks.
Gail:  Hi!  I am in the process of researching weight loss surgery and, after much research, thought that the BPD/DS (bilio-pancreatic diversion/Duodenal switch) was the best choice.  However, I've been reading about increased risk of pancreatic cancer with gastrectomy (BPD/DS involves a 'sleeve gastrectomy' and removal of about 80 pct of the stomach) and want to know people's experiences who have had gastrectomies due to cancer/ulceration, etc.

To get to the point, I am open to the RNY surgery now and am extremely interested in your experience.  WHy was yours reversed?  Rny does involve a stomach stapling to create a small pouch...

Please e-mail me!

all the best,
Teresa
***@****
HI THERE YOUR QUESTION CALLED MY ATTENTION.  I HAD A GASTRIC STAPPLING 19 YEARS AGO,  AND CAN TELL YOU THAT IF ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU DISCRIBE ARE SO BAD THEN YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE STAPPLING.  I WEIGHED 220 LBS WHEN I HAD MINE DUE TO ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU HAVE AND MORE.  IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE.  I LOST 90 LBS AND WENT DOWN TO A SIZE 5 FROM A SZ.  20.  I CAN'T TELL YOU THAT IT'S BEEN FUN FOR 19 YEARS BECAUSE ONE STILL HAS THE OLD EATING HABITS IN YOUR MIND AND IT IS VERY HARD TO BREAK.  BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT SURE DOES DICIPLINE YOU.  AND YOU CAN NOT EAT ONE BITE MORE THEN YOUR STOMACH WILL HOLD BECAUSE YOU WILL THROW IT UP.  I DO THIS EVERYDAY BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO CONSIDER THAT THE SURGERIES THAT ARE PREFORMED TODAY ARE DIFFERENT ARE NOT AS RADICAL AS THEY WERE WHEN I HAD MINE.  GO FOR IT YOU WILL LOVE YOUR SELF FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE IT IF ALL OF YOUR TESTING GOES RIGHT.  GOOD LUCK
A related discussion, can anyone help me?!!! was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem