Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

HIGH ammonia level and 'normal' liver function panels???

In one week my ammonia level has gone from 68 to 93. Only numbers off on liver function on 10/29 were ALT @ 61 (5 high). ALT on 10/21 test was 53.
I've read all I can find on this but nowhere have I found anything mentioning high ammonia levels and "normal" liver functions. I'm having many symptoms associated with high ammonia. Last 2 months I've had a major problem with abdomen distentia. Abdomen and pelvis CT was performed on 10/30...only result so far is that liver is "slightly" enlarged and there are fatty deposits on the liver.
Before I forget, I also suffer from PKD (polycystic kidney disease). There were no cysts on the liver. Kidney function at this point is approx. 50%.
Any leads, ideas, sources, or anything for me on this? I currently have my internist, urologist, and nephrologist working together. I figure the more the merrier, so if there's any info out there, please pass it on to me.
If it maters, I'm a 46 year old white male.
Any help...THANX!!!!!!!!!!
I found your questions interesting. Have you found out anything? I really feel for you. I have found that I have learned more in these forums, specifically the Heapatitis C forum, then I have in the 8 years I have known my husband. He has Hepatitis C, and chirrosis of the Liver. During (3) admissions to the hospital in the past year, they checked his ammonia levels only on my request. All three times his levels were high. I can't remember exactly what they were because they continued to draw them. Of course they put him on Lactalose to get it down, but at no time did anyone explain to us what this meant. I finally started asking to find out if high ammonia levels meant Heaptic Encepalopathy. His doctor told me yesterday that he does have this, but only because I specifically asked. What I really want to know is Do high ammonia levels always mean Hepatic Encepalopathy? In other words if he had no other symptoms, and his levels are high, would they still diagnose Ecepalopathy? I know this is your questions, and I know this sounds confusing, but  wondered if you found out anything yourself. I sure hope you get the answers and I will say a prayer for you, I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck and thanks for your time. Dejsa
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem