Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Have you tried any Natural Remedies ?

Have you tried DGL ? Without being on a PPI to control acid ? How long before you felt relief ? Help with Ulcer
What about Iberogast ?  Non Ulcer Dysepsia
I would like to have something healing and less side effects then the 24 hour Nexium.
I read on the medication, But appreciate insight from a patient who has actually tried ?
My initial endoscopy after 6 months of symptoms showed no ulcer, But if I suffer all day, This can't be good, Do you find an empty stomach suffers as well ?
Please read the entire bunch of messages, below here, posted on 3-29-02, by Kaytiebaybie374, entitled: "Please help me..."

You will find, not only natural remedies for gastric reflux (Gastric Reflux tips without acid blockers), but comments by real people who are getting help from the natural remedies.

These GER/LPR tips greatly helped (and continue to help) my husband and me, and we have never used acid blockers.

Good luck to you!

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Thank you so much,
I am using the DGL and hope it does help with heartburn and not mess with my b/p much.
What for chronic stomach pain? Have you ever met with a homeopathic doctor, Or Natural , Intergrative MD ?
Books are helpful But tests can help guide.
I do drink lots of water since that is all I drink and for over 6 years.
DGL does NOT raise blood pressure. Below are some Gastric Reflux Tips that help many people. I hope this is helpful. Sorry it's a long posting.

**************************************************

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. I hope it can be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
Did you or your husband see a Intergrative MD, Natural Osteopathic doctor, For these ideas, Or read some helpful books?
I have been on DGL for 6 days and still hoping to bring other foods back into my life, along with some much needed weight.
I cut the DGL tablets in half so I can space them out. I eat often small to control bollod sugar as well.
Choice drink
cream of wheat, white bread, skinless apples, banana, chips, skinless potatoe, egg white. Water;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Yuk
Dear Karie,

We read about the DGL in Michael T. Murray's great book, "STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES". We tried the DGL, etc., and found great relief from our gastric reflux. See the Gastric Reflux Tips I posted above here. TRY ALL OF THESE TIPS FOR A WEEK, AND LET US KNOW IF THEY HELP!

If you weigh over 100 pounds, I wouldn't be cutting up the DGL. Chew up ONE or TWO chewable DGL tablets (Enzymatic Therapy is the brand that helped us) shortly before EACH meal.

Your diet sounds like it has a lot of GLUTEN in it. Many people have a gluten-intolerance, which can cause a lot of digestive problems, including Celiac Disease.

Cream of WHEAT has much gluten in it.

White BREAD has much gluten in it. And white bread has almost nothing in it except wheat starch (white bread doesn't have vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.). Whole wheat is better (has more vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.) than white bread, but, if gluten is a problem, avoid wheat entirely.

Have you thought of trying a gluten-free diet? This means avoiding wheat, rye, oats, barley and buckwheat.

BROWN RICE is gluten-free.

I hope you will talk with a knowledgable HOLISTIC NUTRITIONIST, because, from your description, you are not getting a balanced diet, it seems. You may also need to see an Allergist, about food intolerances.

Good luck to you.

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
I have been off my reflux meds since November because I was having alot of side effects(with all 5 of them I tried).  I went and got some DGL today.  My throat is very raw.  I tried the Slippery Elm and that seems to help.  How long does it take before one can see improvement from taking the DGL?  I also have a small hietal hernia.  Will the alternatives that you listed also help for that if that is what is causing my reflux?  Did you and your husband have hietal hernias?

Thank you so very much for the information that you posted.  Nothing has helped so far and I have already made an appointment with a surgeon.  Hope in the meantime that this helps and I won't have to have surgery.

I definately believe the alternative methods are much gentler on the body but it is hard to find someone that practices alternative medicine.
Giggy, what is DGL tablets. What is the words for DGL.
Thanks again,
I am doing blood,urine,stool tests tomorrow
What test is for Celiac Disease ?
I tried the Brat diet for a week and had no improvement, 2 months ago.
What do you think of Hollistic, Naturopath Doctors?
I am talking to a few and a Acupuncturist for help to get my stomach back on track, Why waking up with stomach pain.
Bleeding gums, blue nails and skin and bones due to heartburn constant in the start. Tired and sure hope to heal. Thanks
Dear Karie,

Go over to http://www.braintalk.org

Find the "peripheral neuropathy" forum, and look for JCC's posting called "FOOD SENSITIVITIES CAUSING INTESTINAL MALABSORPTION." Read all the links!

I have to run now. More later.

Concerned lady
Dear JFM,

Hope you don't mind my jumping in to answer your question.

DGL means De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice. This means that some bad parts (steroidal) in plain original licorice, get TAKEN OUT (removed), leaving the DGL. The bad parts are called "glycyrrhizins". And "De" means something was removed (the glycyrrhizins were removed).

This is why DGL does NOT cause elevation of blood pressure (like plain/crude licorice does)! :-)

DGL is pronounced: Dee gl-eye sir rise in eh ted Licorice. I wrote this at the top of the long posting of the gastric reflux "tips" up above.

Hope this helps. The DGL must be chewed (chewable DGL tablets), to thoroughly mix with saliva, to be effective. They are chewed shortly before each meal.

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Thank you for the information on the DGL.  I really appreciate it.  Maybe you can help me find out what is making me cough.  I just cough and cough till I gag and sometimes though up.  My eyes will start to water and tears drop and my nose will start to run.  I can do this any time, but I have noticed I will cough soon after I eat.  And at night when I go to bed I cough and cough.  I've went to the doctor's 3 times and I'm going again this Thursday.  I have been treated for sinusitis and the last time they took a x-ray and said I had bronchitis, so I was treated for that.  Now it's 11 days after the last treatment and I still have a bad cough.  A dry cough most of the time.  This has been going on for 7 weeks or more.  Otherwise I feel just fime, till I have to cough.  I've coughed so much that my head, teeth and chest hurt only when I cough.  I think it is a strain on my heart.  I'm a diabetic and have Gastroparesis.  But I don't think that has anything to do with my coughing.
Hi there!
you mentioned acid blockers can cause nerve damage. i am taking nexium and am stopping it today. i have pins and needle feelings in throat and jaw, not bad, but bothersome. it may noy be from nexium, but i am stopping it to see. you have some really wonderful suggestions about gerd. i am like you and prefer natural remedies myself. i am nursing right now and not sure if it's safe to take the natural; herbs right now, so i need to check on it.
Not even sure i should have taken nexium, but dr. said it was safe??????
I have only taken it 3 weeks today.
I was diagnosed with severe gerd 1 1/2 years ago. i had an upper gi. I also have a small hernia.
I find the gerd diet hard to do. do you have any suggestions? what is ok and not ok to eat?
Thanks so much for all the info you gave ........
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem