Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Having pain and nausea and nobody knows why.....Need help!!!

Hello. I have recently been having severe stomach pain and nausea. The pain is always directly in under my breasts. I always have nausea but am never able to throw up. It always hits all of a sudden and then lasts for several days. I went to an urgent care center when it first started bothering me and the doc there just knew it was my gall bladder. She done what she called the "gall bladder test" and I was very tender on my right side. She done blood work and my liver enzymes were elevated. She sent me the next day for an ultrasound and it didn't show any gall stones or anything like that. It did however, show I had a fatty liver. So anyway, they also did an upper GI and it showed that my stomach was severly inflamed. They gave me prevacid and told me to take that and that it should help but if it didn't I should see my regular doc. Well that was the last of March and I had another really bad attack last night. It just hits all of a sudden with no warning. The only other symptom I have with this is very loose stools. Anybody know anything about this. Thanks
Hello, Well you story sounds very familiar to me. I had the same problem for 2 years and was told also told it was Gallbladder. They did the tests and found no signs of gallstones. But I did have high liver enzymes, and jaundice. I had 3 lots of ERCPs and was told all ok and that i had Gilberts syndrome. I guess when they do not have and answer to the pain, they come up with a name for it. Well the pain comes on all of a sudden and it feels like you are going to die and there is nothing to relieve the pain. 6 weeks ago I had another attack, this time I actually vomited and I was going yellow by the hour, I put off doing anything about it for 2 days, my urine was brown and I began itching, I could not breath or talk. I eventually called an ambulance as my GP was no help. By the time I got to the hospital my amylase was 2000. I had obstructive jaundice, Pancreatitus. I did have stones which was not picked up. I am due to have an MRI scan on Tuesday morning as they are now concerned that as it has been left for so long, the docs are concerned that there has been damage to the Liver or the pancreas. Don't leave your symptoms as they will get worse, mine started the same way as yours and it's not nice. good Luck, let me know how you get on.
Lack of gallstones does NOT mean you dont have a bad gallbladder. A HIDA scan can determine if there are other gallbladder problems besides stones.

I agree with Tina, dont let your symptoms go too long. I ended up very very sick before I finally had my gallbladeder removed.
My dad had trouble with nausea and stomach pain several years ago.  He would eat and then either feel like throwing up or would actually do it.  It went on for a while.  I didn't know about it.  He didn't go to the doctor because he just doesn't ususally do that.  

Anyway, I finally convinced him to go and the doctor he saw prescribed pepto bismol and sent him home.  A week later he wasn't feeling any better so I encouraged him to get a second opinion.  This new doctor took one look at him and said it was his heart.  They ran some tests and sure enough...  they wouldn't even let him go home over the weekend because they said they couldn't guarantee that he would make it back.  They kept him the weekend and the next Monday they did a quadruple by-pass.  He recovered very quickly and it has been six years.  He turned 81 in February.  

I don't know if it could be gall bladder or not, but you might have them check your heart.  

Tisha17
Just curious, what was you're Dad's heart problem, specifically?
My dad had blocked arteries.  They had to do the quad bypass to unblock his arteries.

Tisha17
YOUR STORY IS MINE TO A TEE. AFTER 76 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL ON PAIN MEDS AND EVERY TEST IN THE BOOK---THE SENT ME HOME, STILL IN PAIN. I WENT TO 4 MORE GI DOCS OVER 9 MONTHS AND FINALLY FOUND ONE WILLING TO DO EVEN MORE TESTS. (i even had a doctor tell me i was a drug addict looking for pain meds----as i threw up green bile on his exam room foor and a white cell count too high for most people to live!)ANYWAY---I HAVE CHRONIC PANCREATITIS--HAVE NEVER USED ALCOHOL, ETC, SO THEY NEVER CONSIDERED IT! I NOW TAKE VICODIN 4 TIMES A DAY FOR PAIN, PHENERGAN FOR NAUSEA, DONNATAL TO KEEP MY GI TRACT RELAXED, AND XANAX TO KEEP ME STRESS FREE-(IT MAKES IT FLARE UP HORRIBLY). NO RED MEAT, NO CAFFEINE, NO NICOTINE, VERY LOW FAT DIET......AND I AM DOING BETTER, NOT GREAT, BUT BETTER.
GOOD LUCK, HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem