Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Heartburn and indigestion

Here lately I have been waking up shortly after going to bed and having discomfort in my chest and back area.  I get a little comfort from sitting in the recliner in the living room but still am uncomfortable.  I have noticed that during this time my blood pressure seems to be elevated.  I have had a stress test and a blood test and my heart seems to be strong and my blood pressure normally is fine.  What do you think this could be and how do you think I could treat it?  It has happended maybe 6 times in the last 60 days.  Normally it lasts for several hours and I am so uncomfortable I can't sleep.  In the last week I have had it twice.  After it subsides I seem to feel fine so I really don't think it is my heart.  Please any suggestions or thoughts from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
GERD can cause such symptoms.  Other possibilies would be gallstones, inflammation of the esophagus or stomach or an ulcer.

The first test I would discuss would be an upper GI series - this can evaluate for GERD or ulcers.  If negative, I would pursue either an ultrasound to look for gallstones, or an upper endoscopy which is a more comprehensive test of the esophagus or stomach.  

I would discuss those options with your primary care physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
gallstones can cause such symptoms. It's not rare to be awakened at nite with attacks, and they are typically felt in the back as well as in the front. Other possibilities include GERD (acid reflux.) The way to find out is to see your doc and arrange some tests.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem