Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Heartburn for 7 months

I have had heartburn for 7 months.  It started one day when I bent down funny and burped at the same time and acid came up and for about 2-3 weeks  I had severe heartburn almost constantly.   Tums wouldn't help.  I took orange juice and sweets out of my diet and that seemed to help.  Since then I have mild heartburn about 5 days out of the week.   It isn't bad and usually I don't take anything for it.  I usually have burning at the bottom of my rib cage where my stomach is.  Sometimes it comes up to the middle of my chest.  I have wondered if stress could be the culprit.  I have been trying to become pregnant and have had stress due to that and work.  While talking to the doctor about my fertility  problems I mentioned that I had mild heartburn around 5 days a week and I usually took tums when it got bad.  She didn't seem concerned and I dismissed it.  But I know something isn't right.  I have never suffered from heartburn like this before.  
Stress is certainly possible, but I would look at other causes first.

GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract are all possible.  

You can consider an upper endoscopy or upper GI series to initially evaluate the GI tract.  Blood tests to exclude the bacteria H Pylori can be done as well - as this is associated with some of the aforementioned causes.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
A related discussion, Gastric Problem was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem