Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Hiatal hernia,Schatzki's Ring, Pregnancy, and new symptom

I am concerned regarding a new symptom I am having. I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia and a schatzki's ring in December via fluroscopy. I recently discoved also, I am pregnant of 5 weeks. My symptoms when diagnosed were intermittent dysphagia on lower right side of esophagus. I was put on Prilosec over the counter then switched to Zantac 150 mg bid. I am a vet tech :) My concern is that I have started to have this feeling in upper throat region (in region where collar bone comes together) of like a frog in throat that is very annoying. It feels like a pressure there like if you put a finger there and put pressure on the throat. I was told by the nurse this is from the hiatal hernia and it might get worse with pregnancy. Is this correct? I thought it was due to my allergies. I have felt this with post nasal drainage which usually will go away in a couple of days or resolves with swallowing or eating. This comes back after eating. If I don't have much food in my stomach, the feeling is not as intense. When eating, it is fine. I was told by internist to wait after the pregnancy for possible endoscopy if I wanted to for checking it out further. Is this symptom serious? Do I need to worry about regurgitation? vomiting? Is there any serious concerns being pregnant with all this?
I am having a hard time with this as it seems I feel like what else now? Especially that I am pregnant. I am taking all precautions for GERD, etc. I feel frustrated enough almost to go on a liquid diet in desperation to get rid of this feeling.
Sorry so long. Your observations about this GREATLY appreciated.
Respectfully,

Jill Dai
The symptoms you are describing sounds like a "globus sensation" - i.e. the feeling of a "frog" or lump in your throat.

Possible causes for this would include GERD, upper abdominal sphincter dysfunction, stress or post-nasal drip.  

Tests to evaluate this would include a sinus CT scan to evaluate the post-nasal drip or an upper endoscopy or upper GI series to evaluate for possible GERD.

However, being pregnant would limit the use of some of these tests.  If GERD is the cause, then it is possible for the symptoms to worsen during the course of your pregnancy.

You can discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b

I read your question, and just the gerd with get worse during the course of your pregnancy. My oldest child is 22yrs old. It started when I was about 5th to 6th month of pregnant. I didn't know what was going on. I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and thats when I found out that I had GERD. The doctor told me to eat small meals (as I felt hungry) drink lots of water, no caffine, no red meat, no chocolate, watch your weight gain. And put me on Tagament. That was in 1984. I went on to have sever problems with gerd, along with two more pregnancies. I am presently on Nexium. It helps alot,but when I have an attack (I Call them) I can not eat for two days. I have been living with this for 22yrs. And now I am going to have the hital hernia surgery done. I just can't stand it anymore. I hope I have not scared you. But it is the truth. I hope this has been helpful and has not scared you.
Donna.
I have this problem too. I'm a 44/m and have just been diagnoised with a small hiatal hernia.

When i sleep on my belly i wake up feeling a tightness in my upper abdomen and i get the feeling that i want to throw up.

I don't have a gerd problem or maybe i do which is not very noticable.

powellbarkernblu37> Please let us know abt the sugery. I heard that symptoms had to be servere in order to warrant the surgery.
I asked a few doctors but they all say i should do a lifestyle change.
i have lost 20 lbs in the last month since knowing abt the hertial hernia and have given up coffee and tea.
Hello. I started having severe chest and back pain about 3 months ago when I woke up. The pain actually felt like plursey...the first stage of pneumonia. But lately, I have been having pain and burning in my stomach and chest. I have been diagnosed with Hiatal hernia in 1997. Do you think it is what is bothering me now? Is that what is causing the chest and back pain that I am having now? If so, is there something I can take over the counter without going to the doctor? And is there anything I can do to make it better like eating differently or lifestyle changes? I dont have time to go to the doctor...I work all day, and the doctor is closed when I get off work. I would greatly appreciate your comments!! Thanks.
I have pain in my chest and back, and was diagnosed originally with a small hiatal hernia and slow-emptying stomach in 2002. I have since been diagnosed with a large sliding hiatal hernia and advised to 1) lose weight, 2) don't put pressure on the area and 3) avoid caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, peppermint, spearmint, tomato products, etc. I also have gastric mucosal prolapse but have not yet been advised how to care for that issue.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem