Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Hiatal hernias in infants

My 10th month old daughter has had problems with vomiting and putting on weight since birth.  She also has not slept much since birth.  She was recently hospitalized and diagnosed (2 weeks ago) with a sliding hiatal hernia.  Her doctor indicated that 99% of hernias go away with medication,and said that she should improve within 4 to 6 weeks. He did not indicate if the hernia would be gone in 4 to 6 weeks, or if she would start eating and sleeping better by then.  

She was placed on Tagament for acid control in the stomach and Reglan for vomiting.  Her first week on the meds she was doing great--eating like a horse and put on a pound.  However, this last week she went back to her old ways, not eating much, and vomitting up formula again.  My wife and I do not feel she is improving yet. Realistically, when can we expect her to improve?  Should the hernia be gone in 4 to 6 weeks, or is that when she should start eating better?

Also, if the mediation doesn't work, how difficult is the surgery to repair the hernia?  What is the recovery period, and how much pain will she be in?    

Appreciate any answers you may have. Thank you.
Dear Mike,
Pediatric gastroenterology problems are beyond the scope of this Forum.  I suggest that you discuss these issues with a pediatric gastroenterologist.
My wife has a lump of some kind just above the beginning of her stomach, we asked a few people about this and they might think it's a hiatal hernia, when she goes to sleep she wakes up in the middle of the night having a hard time breathing like her wind is being cut off but after a few seconds she is alright but seems to also complain to have a panic attack that goes along with this disorder she has seen a Dr. about her panic attacks but I recently lost my job and unable to afford seeing the specialist. This lump I talked about, she said she can push it in so it doesn't stick out that far but when she pushes it in she does burp so we're asking for some kind of advice on what the problem is.She just informed me she can burp all the time has lots of gas we're both a little worried about this problem do you have any kind of idea what she has?
Hi,my 6 month old son has an hernia in his navel area and I was just wondering exactly what is a hernia and how would it affect my son and how did the hernia come about?
I need to know exactly what a hernia is?
A related discussion, Hiatal hernia was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem