Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

High GGT- rejected for life insurance

I was rejected for additional life insurance in 1997 due to a high GGT test. I was concerned, and my Gastroenteroligist did a complete GI evaluation including chemical analysis, ERCP in April 1997 and Liver biopsy in November 1997. All results were negative for liver disease. My doctor did not believe any other tests were warranted at that time.

In 2004, I applied again for additional life insurance and was rejected for the same reason. My GGT was 254. All other blood results were in normal range (including other liver function tests (AST 23 and ALT 41)), except for LDL of 161 and total cholesterol of 262. Ratio of 3.7 was in normal range.  Based on the 1997 testing, my internist does not recommend further testing.

I understand that elevated GGT could indicate: Bile duct scarring, fatty liver, alcholic liver disease, imflammation from medicines or herbs, liver tumors, gallstones or gallbladder problems.

I am a 50 year old male in good overall health. I am not overweight, Height- 68 inches, weight 145 pounds. I only drink occasional wine or beer (average once a week), and have never been a heavy drinker. I exercise regularly. I do not take medicines or herbs on a regular basis. To my knowledge, I have not had a problem with gallstones, my gallbladder, liver tumors, or bile duct. A rectal exam with a recent physical was normal. I have never had Hepatitus C.

I also understand that high GGT readings can occur for no particular reason. However, since my high readings are consistent, is that likely. I believe that over an 8 year period, if something were wrong it would have shown up by now.

I am going to appeal to the insurance company and would like to know if you recommend doing additional testing at this point. Does the insurance company have a legitimate concern? They did not know the history when they rejected me, but will be provided that information now.

You are right that there has already been a pretty comprensive evaluation done already, including a liver biopsy.   Alcohol by itself can raise the GGT, especially out of proportion to the other enzymes.  

As for other testing, repeating the ultrasound would be reasonable.  As for the insurance company, I cannot speak for them as I am not familiar with their policies regarding an isolated elevation in GGT.  Perhaps including the results of the normal diagnostic studies may help.  

Another opinion with a gastroenterologist can also be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem