Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

IBS or Malabsorption

I have lost about 15 lbs. over the last 4 years. I'm already tall and thin and so I am conscious of it. I have at least 4-6 loose malodorous stools a day that appear light and float. I also menopause at 44 after surgical tubal ligation at 40. I do have lots of stress, and eat tons of sugar. My body literally craves it. I've tried probiotics and lacto stuff but to o avail. It just seems that I can't gain weight because everything goes right thru me. I have no blood in my stool. My stool has no shape or anything just pieces. My energy was good, but it is waning. What are the symptoms of IBS
IBS has many manifestions.  Abdominal pain in IBS is usually described as a crampy sensation with variable intensity and periodic exacerbations. The pain is generally located in the lower abdomen, often on the left side; however, the location and character of the pain can vary widely.  

Diarrhea is usually characterized as frequent loose stools of small to moderate volume. Stools generally occur during waking hours, most often in the morning or after meals. Most bowel movements are preceded by extreme urgency and may be followed by a feeling of incomplete evacuation.  

Constipation may last from days to months, with interludes of diarrhea or normal bowel function. Stools are often hard and may be described as pellet shaped. Patients may also experience a sense of incomplete evacuation even when the rectum is empty.

Other potential causes can include malabsorption or chronic pancreatitis.  Fecal fat tests and blood tests for celiac disease can be done to evaluate for malabsorption, or imaging studies and pancreatic enzymes done to evaluate for pancreatitis.  I would also consider a colonoscopy.  These tests can be discussed with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
Chun et al.  Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome.  UptoDate, 2004.
You are describing classic yeast infection symptoms
Look into celiac sprue. Have your doctor test you for this just in case.

celiac disease

a disease occurring in children and adults characterized by sensitivity to gluten, with chronic inflammation and atrophy of the mucosa of the upper small intestine; manifestations include diarrhea, malabsorption, steatorrhea (passage of fat in stool), and nutritional and vitamin deficiencies. Syn: gluten enteropathy, celiac sprue, celiac syndrome.

Try a gluten-free diet also (very tough).
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem