Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

IBS

Can discomfort associated with IBS be apparent in the area of the stomach adjacent to the navel and spread outward to the sides?
I'd like to know if it can cause discomfort under the ribs?  I have felt pressure/very mild pain under my bottom right ribs for months off and on.  I tend toward IBS-C, so I guess it could be a build-up.

As far as in your navel area, when I have had diarrhea episodes, I have sometimes gotten pain around my navel, but this usually happens before the worst pain hits.  Then it is typically much lower in my abdomen.

Hope you feel better soon!

Vicky
Yes.  It may spread through the entire abnomen
I am experiencing the same symptoms. Please advise any information related to this problem that you may come across. Thank you.  e-mail: ***@****
Hi I am only 22 years old and have been diagnosed with IBS. If you ask me it is something more because I have done everything the doctor told me to do and the pain seems to be getting worse. The pain starts on my left side then spreads through my whole abdomen. This problem really is ruining my life or at least putting a huge damper on it. If anyone knows of something that could help me please let me know. e-mail:***@****
There is a medical research article about IBS at the December issue of the American Journal of Gastroenterology (see site)wich says that one of the main causes (80%)of IBS is bacterial infestation of the small intestine. It then indicates a possible line of treatment (with specific antibiotics).
Julie, you might want to have a Doctor check you for endrometriosis (I don't know how to spell it)  A few years back I would have sharp pains on my right side, that would then spread through my abdomen.  Doctors told me it was IBS.  Then last year it got worse.  I had pain in my lower back, Pain when I sat down, just as if someone was squeezing my rectum.  I started loosing weight.  Just as soon as I ate I ran to the bathroom with severe cramping and diarehia.  For 6 months I was in misery while my OBGYN and my Gastro-intestinal doctor tried to figure it out.  The cramping was intense.  Finally the OBGYN opened me up and was shocked.  He could not believe that I had stage 4+ endrometriosis.  They had to scrap my intestines, remove my appendix, and do a full hystorectomy.  (very sorry about the spelling.  That happened in Dec 1999 I was only 37. But now I feel great!  Better than I had in years.  So have it checked out.  It is very hard to determine because it really can not be seen on an ultrasound.  My OBGYN who is very good couldn't believe it.  He thought I did not have the traditional signs of it.  So be persistant!
Hi everyone,                                                               Im a 35 year old male who has suffered from IBS for years now. It is getting to depressing. I live a lonely life because of it. I do work but it makes it very hard. If anyone has any suggestions on pain relief, or symptom reilief, I would be very grateful. Im willing to try almost anything to try and live somewhat of a normal life as most of you can imagine im sure. Thanks for listening.
After reading so many of the peoples comments about IBS, diarrhea, etc. I can relate. However, I am still in the process of the doctors' trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I had my gallbladder removed a year ago, and all my problems began soon after the surgery. The chronic diarrhea is very troublesome and I have resorted to wearing a protective shield in my undergarment because of possible "accidents" while out of doors. Yes, it is VERY troublesome. I have had numerous tests taken, and am continuing to do so in the hopes that one of the many doctors' I have consulted, will come up with a logical esplanation and cure me of all these discomforts.  Thanks for listening. Good luck to all of you IBS people out there.
Your post here concerned me. I had an ultrasound because of IBS and they found stones in my gallbladder. I had that removed a little over a week ago. I am a little concerned because I am pretty bloated and I don't mean to be gross but: also pretty gassy and I have more that the typical amount of mucus in the stool... I am thinking, geez, should I have had that gallbladder removed? I asked my surgeon if I should be worried about the small chance of being one of those people who have chronic diarrea because of this. He said not to worry. Do you or did you have problems with bloating in your lower abdomin and a profound feeling gas moving around in there? Has the doc provided a way for you to deal with the diarrea? Was your gallbladder removed due to IBS symptoms?
  I found this forum by chance. I've been in the addiction forum looking for help for my daughter.I'm glad I looked here. I Have a rare disease called Amyloidosis and some 11 years ago had my first surgerythat included taking part of my small intestine to make a pouch in replacement of my urinary bladder.Then in 95 I had to have another surgery to again replace that pouch and they had to use more small intestine. I was told I would never be constipated again. But I have chronic diahrea (6-12 times a day)and awful debilitating pain and cramps.If I eat, I HAVE to be next to a bathroom. I too have accidents. My doctors say the problems are not from the surgery. They say I have IBS. Before the operations I never had diahrea.EVER! I too live a life isolated from the things I love to do. Sometimes I can't go to church for the cramps and diahrea, everything I do is according to there being a bathroom available.(with more than one stall!)I've had test after test. Drug after drug. Nothing stops the diahrea. The pain meds I take don't even slow me down.I've been told my disease could be in my intestines. But biopsies are negative for it. But they usually are untill it's too late to do anything. I hate that your all going through the same thing but your the first ones I've heard of with the same symtoms as myself. There are days better than others. Right now I'm battleing over the cramps. There days when I feel like I'll die if they won't stop. Then I'll go to the bathroom and sit for a long time hoping to pass gas to get relief from the cramps. (sorry so grapic about that) Is there anything any of you have tried for the cramps that helps? I'm desperate and I'm afraid to go to the doctor for fear they'll want to shove something up me or down me. I've done it all and nothing they try helps. I feel for all you guys. This truly is something that's hard to talk about to just anyone. My husband is great though. I have a lot of health problems but this one gets the best of me at times.My prayers are with all of you.
                        Kerrie

I'm a 55 year old woman in good health except for this rotten IBS that has bugged me for many years. Now I have something new to add to my problems. It is a constant bitter, sour taste in my mouth that never goes away. I wake up at night with a horrible bitter taste in my mouth. I do not feel acid coming back into my mouth, just this horrible taste. I have taken losec which is supposed to be an acid reducer, but it does not solve this problem. I had a barium swallow which showed nothing abnormal. Along with the constant pain under my right rib along my waistline and to my back, I now have this to deal with. My doctor can't give me an answer. Can anyone out there give me some idea as to what is causing this bitter taste at all times?
Sounds like alot of the questions here can be answered by the Crohns and Colitis Foundation site and the IBD support site.

Alot of you are suffering and there are alot of helpful suggestions, treatments, tests, etc. covered there...far too many to list here.

As far as the last post about acid tasting mouth...sounds like acid reflux or GIRD...meds are available for that...

Right side pain under the rib is one of the classic Crohns Colitis symptoms...barium test won't find that often...need colonoscopy or endoscopy...check the info on the two sites I'll post right here.

good luck folks,
Mom of IBD- Crohns/Ulcerative Colitis patient of 12 yrs

NL

http://www.ccfa.org/
http://ibd.patientcommunity.com/

both sites have searches and pages of links, boards, etc.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem