Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Liver lesions

In Feb 2007, I had a kidney stone for which they took a ct scan.  Two liver lesions were detected and I was sent for a followup ultrasound and contrast ct scan.  It was determined that these had nonspecific enhancement patterns and were benign.  I have had a followup ultrasound at 4 months, 8 months, and 10 months with no change in the lesions.  My liver enzymes are normal as is all of my other blood work.  I have had a mammogram, and visited the eye doctor, dermatologist, and gynecologist with a clean bill of health.  My question is, is it still possible that these lesions are cancer?  Wouldn't cancer have grown or spread in 10 months?  My new doctor has sent me for an MRI tomorrow, and I am still worried.  Please advise!
I agree with the workup thus far.  It is reassuring that the liver lesions are not enlarging.  

Further evaluation would indeed include an MRI, which you said has been scheduled.  If that test is negative, the possibility of a liver cancer is less likely.

If the lesion is amenable to biopsy, that can also be discussed with your personal physician.

A referral to a liver specialist, preferably at a major academic medical center, can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Hi! I sure know what you are going through! I went for a CT scan Jan '07 because I was having stomach discomfort.  They found 2 lesions on my liver as well. I am 41y/o with 2 kids and I was terrified. After many tests labwork etc. I was found to be healthy just as you are. They think my tumors are adenomas ( They do have a slight risk of turning to cancer) I have to have periodic MRIs. So far they haven't really changed much so it's just a wait and see approach. I have met with a liver surgeon and my GI doc has discussed this with a hepatologist at a larger institution. Apparently, they see this so often that they think the risk of surgery is greater than the risk of the tumors being cancer. The hepatologist recommended a liver spect scan as well. My surgeons and GI Drs. here do not recommend doing a biopsy because there is a risk a bleeding. That recommendation is probably different for each individual. The Dr. did not really answer your question about if liver cancer would likely spread or grow in 10 months. I would like to know that as well. Keep me posted on your progress and good luck with the MRI. I'll bet everything will be fine!
Thank you for sharing your experience and your words of encouragement.  Just knowing that someone else is going through what I am is comforting.  I had my MRI today - it was fine except they had to stick me four times trying to find a vein!  So now I wait...I will keep you posted.
Hi again! Did you find out the results of your MRI? I was just wondering what you found out and what treatment your Drs. are recommending. It is nice to find someone who is dealing with the same things I am. Keep me posted.
Hi!  Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  My MRI came out inconclusive...again!  Probably benign - hepatic adenoma, focal nodular hyperplasia, or atypical hemangioma, BUT cannot rule out metastatic disease given my age. (I'm 46).  I have decided to see a liver specialist at the University of PA in Philadelphia.  I just cannot believe that after a year, they still can't give me a diagnosis.  How are you making out?  
You said you were 46y/o. That doesn't seem old to me,especially when talking about the possibility of metastatic disease. I'm 42 and I hope the Drs. are not just blowing me off. I have discovered over the past year that I have to take responsibility for my own health care because they sure are not going to! They think my adenomas are the result of taking birth control pills. Did your Drs. tell you that? By the way, I think the diagnosis of adenomas are a diagnosis of exclusion, they couldn't find any thing else. Like I said, I have not had a biopsy. How big are your lesions? One hepatologist that was in contact with my GI doc said to get a liver spect scan. They said it would show if it was a hemangioma or even cancer. I had one but am not very familiar with it. My scan can back normal as did my Abd US. Weird that they show up on some scans but not on others huh? I feel OK other than knowing the tumors are there. How are you feeling?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem