Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Lower abdominal cramps to stomach pain

About two weeks ago, I started experiencing lower abdominal cramps. They were more of a discomfort than painful. My doctor prescribed Belladonna Alkaloids tablets, which seemed to relieve the lower abdominal cramps, however the pain migrated to the stomach area.

This pain was coming and going and was more of a burning type. When the pain peaked, I felt somewhat nauseous. This pain originated in the center of the upper abdomen (which was tender). Somestimes, it migrated up to where the esophagus ends. I did not have diarrhea, or a fever. I ate normally!

I also felt bloated in the stomach and the side of the chest, especially when seating down. It felt like the area was being compressed and tensed. The pain went away after I started eating.

The doctor believed that it could be excessive acid in the stomach and gave me Protonix (40mg). That seemed to alleviate the intensity of the burning pain. I still experienced those coming and going burning sensations, but not as intense.

Yesterday, my whole body started feeling weak. I felt nauseous more times than before. However, I did not feel that upper abdominal pain, unless I purposely pressed down on the stomach. This morning I also feel weak, my temperature is 99.8 degree. I still feel bit bloated over the stomach area and the sides of the chest, but no pain radiating, UNLESS I press down on the stomach. I can't see my doctor until Monday now. Should I go to a hospital or wait until Monday to see my doctor?
2 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
I agree with the Protonix.  GERD, inflammation, or an ulcer can all be considered.

You may want to inquire about investigating the upper digestive tract.  An upper GI series or upper endoscopy would be reasonable starting points.  Further testing can include an abdominal ultrasound or gastric emptying scan.  

I would also obtain blood tests looking for H Pylori - a bacteria that is associated with ulcers or inflammation of the digestive tract.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate your time greatly.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem