Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Many problems since cholecystectomy

The following is a synopsis of my GI history since my problems began in 2004 I am not getting any answers from my local MD and would like you to let me know if you believe you can help me as I am willing to make the trip to Detroit if indicated Your time is greatly appreciated

5/2004 I was admitted for sudden onset of abdominal pain & vomiting I was diagnosed with viral pancreatitis & ileus I continued having problems with pain fatigue and weight loss and followed up with my GI physician lab and radiological tests were done, none of which provided an etiology  I continued the low fat diet which had resulted in extreme weight loss & severe fatigue 1/2005 a HIDA scan indicated my gallbladder was only working at 25% capacity  By this time my weight loss was approx 35-40 pounds the fatigue continued Cholecystectomy was scheduled for March 3/2005 the cholecystectomy was canceled due to an elevated Amylase level 148 & I was referred to CU & advised to proceed with the gallbladder removal  that my problems were most likely gallbladder related & NOT pancreas related based on my Amylase levels 4/2005 lap chole was performed & the pathology revealed chronic inflammation & no stones  I continued to have problems with nausea vomiting fatigue & weight loss  I saw another GI doctor in June endoscopy diagnosed severe gastritis & fungal infection 8/2005 I developed vomiting & weakness MRI of the pancreas was negative admitted for fluid replacement A new GI doctor did endoscopy & ERCP which revealed, severe gastritis with erosion hpylori and slow drainage of a duct inserted a stent due to contrast remained at 10 minutes biliary sphincterotomy was performed The radiology report states a suspicion on a subtle leak however this was never addressed to me by the GI doctor 10/2005 Stent removed While the stent was in I continued to have 2-3 loose stools every morning but the nausea was slowly subsiding once the thrush was resolved ERCP states an attempt to clear the common hepatic duct & common bile duct with balloon was made the bile duct clearance was complete ERCP report states a balloon was needed to clear a duct although this was never addressed by the GI doctor 10/2005 Colonoscopy hemicult positive but to my knowledge the origin of the bleeding was not determined and showed increased motility No advice given 12/2005 Dizziness and continued increasing GI symptoms An UGI with esophogram was negative 1/2006  Saw GI doctor in Denver again recommended stool studies endoscopy sigmoidoscopy clostridium difficile and toxins A&B which was negative and serum lab for iron zinc magnesium were normal CT of Abdomen and Pelvis was normal except for 2 non-obstructing left kidney stones 1 noted on June CT I am now on long term disability because of fatigue chronic nausea that increases with eating any foods  general abd tenderness intermittent RUQ and LUQ pain  gas  bloating  2-5 normal to loose stools every a.m.intermittent dry heaves & dizziness

Just a note that I do not work for the Henry Ford Hospital.  

You clearly have had a comprehensive evaluation of your symptoms - including multiple endoscopies, CT scans, and an ERCP.  Most of the major GI disease would have been found with the tests that you have had.

One consideration would be Sphincter of Oddi manometry - this can look for Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction that can manifest after a cholecystectomy.  This is normally done in conjunction with an ERCP.  

More specialized testing can be considered to look for the nausea and abdominal discomfort.  This can include a gastric emptying scan, looking for gastroaresis as well as an esophageal motility study looking for esophageal dysmotility.  This conditions can uncommonly cause some of the symptoms you are describing.  

With the loose stools, again more specialized testing can be considered - including stool tests looking for malabsorption as well as blood tests looking for celiac disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with another GI evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem