This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Maybe EE, maybe not... more questions

My biopsies have returned as being "just" esophagitis-- too few eosinophils to be EE. However, the gastroenterologist remarked that the endoscopy looked to him as if it were EE.
I was so miserable last Wednesday that I dragged myself out to the drugstore, purchased Claritin and cromolyn sodium, and began dosing myself. I immediately noticed a difference for the better (able to get down more than 1000 calories of soft/liquid food instead of 500-700; less nausea, some improvement in digestive motility). I also changed myself back to Prevacid (which admittedly I had not been taking regularly for perhaps 11/2 years) because I believed that Protonix was making me sicker.
I asked the gastroenterologist to give me Flovent (or Gastrocrom), but he wants me to swallow the cromolyn spray that I purchased and "see how [I] do over the next 3-4 weeks." He stated that whether this is EE or reflux esophagitis, it should get slowly but steadily better. Is this indeed the case? Should I be taking Gastrocrom? Would it be excessively dangerous to obtain Flonase from another physician (if possible) and begin using it? Is it true that the horrors described (mostly by parents of young children)in the EE/EG Yahoo group postings I read refer to a "completely different disorder"?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
It is true that eosinophilic esophagitis and esophagitis from reflux have different treatments.  The diagnosis is made via biopsy up and down the esophagus.  

Swallowed Flovent is normally the initial treatment if eosinophilic esophagitis is suspected.  It is not clear whether acid-suppression (i.e. Prevacid) can help in these cases.

There are small studies suggesting improvement in those who take Cromolyn, and this can be considered if the Flovent isn't working.  

If the diagnosis for EE is negative (i.e. via biopsy), you can consider a 24-hr pH study to give a more definitive diagnosis for GERD.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed