This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Middle left abdominal pain

I am a 23 yr old female with a history of digestive problems. It began 3 years ago. I had a colonoscopy and was told I had a mild case of ulcerative colitis. I have been on asacol and it helps my bowels be normal and on a schedule. Last year I was diagnosed with H. Pylori and took a prev pack which helped. Then I had another colonoscopy in May 2004 and still had colitis. I have been told that I do not have Crohn's according to my biopsy. I still had this strange knawing, burning pain in my upper abdomen that felt like H. Pylori so I had and upper endoscopy which came out normal. I have had 3 doctors tell me there is nothing wrong but I know there has to be. I have pain that is burning which is usually relieved with yogurt and pepto bismol. But I also have pain that comes from my middle left abdomen and radiates itself up and around my navel area. I have bentyl which doesn't seem to help. I usually have no choice but to throw up to make it stop hurting. The pain is wavy causing hot flashes and it takes my breath away. Sometimes if I arch my back it stretches my stomach and it feels a little better. And if I push my hand really hard into the part that hurts, that helps to. I am having a flare up right now that started last week and there hasn't been hurting me. I don't drink pop, or have candy or anything like that. It seems as though there are days when I am not allowed to eat because my stomach disagrees no matter what. I have been on zelnorm since last week and it doesn't seem to help at all. I know that something is wrong but my doctors say I'm fine. I thought maybe the medications that I am on may be causing this but I discontinued for a few days and it still hurts. I take, Asacol, singulair, claritin and wellbutrin. Could this pain be a symptom of another illness that is not related to my digestive system? I really don't know what else to do. Does this sound like Somatization disorder? Also, is there any ype of pain medication that would relieve this pain until the doctors figure out what is wrong with me?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
I would further evaluate the digestive system.  If the upper endoscopy was normal, there are other tests you can consider.  This would include a 24-hr pH study (looking for GERD), esophageal motility studies (looking for motility disorders) and an ultrasound (which can evaluate the liver and gallbladder).  Of course, if the H Pylori test was positive, this should be appropriately treated.  

I would consider another opinion, preferably at a major academic medical center.  These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed