Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Mucous formation

I have a neo badder that was made from small intestine, 2 1/2 years ago  I was advised, early on, that mucous would continue to be generated by this peice of intestine, but that the amount would diminish with time.  The volume has not decreased, but the amount of mucouse does change from day to day or from days to days.  What causes this irregular pattern?  I have not been able to determine any changes in my diet or acctivities that would account for it.  When the flow is heavy I have difficulties voiding, and must resort to cathaterization.  When the flow is light I have no difficulties voiding.  Is there any diet or routine that might minimize the amount of mucous that flows, without causing other, adverse, effects?
I am not as familiar with neobladder reconstruction, but here's what I found.  In addition to surgeon's comments below about taking cranberry juice, some say increasing water intake may help in decreasing mucous production.

Unfortunately, if the mucous becomes too much of a problem, then regular irrigation and catheterizations must be employed.  

I am not aware of factors that can cause a change in the mucous patterns, however varying intake of water may be a consideration.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
some surgeons recommend two glasses of cranberry juice daily to reduce mucus production (that's a lot of extra sugar, so you might need to cut calories somewhere else!)
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem