Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach

I have had nausea quite frequently.  Two years ago, had an EGD which showed some inflammation.  Gallbladder studies were normal, ejection fraction was 90%.  Took samples of Prilosec for a month.  Nausea has continued and diarrhea started this summer.  Just yesterday, had EGD/colonoscopy.  Colon was normal.  EGD again showed inflammation.  I see the Dr. next week for followup but would like to find out what I can beforehand so I can go to him with questions.  At the hospital, he did mention irritable bowel syndrome could be one problem.  I'm concerned that maybe he's still looking at gallbladder trouble.  I've read that a normal ejection fraction is from 14 to 75%.  Mine was 90% two years ago, but Dr. said scan was normal.  I sometimes do have pain behind right rib area, sometimes feels as if a lump is behind the ribs.  I will sometimes feel soreness around to back and right shoulder will be sore but I've always attributed that to muscles.  Fatty foods do not cause problems.  Symptoms seem to be brought on more by food, just not a particular food.  Do these symptoms resemble IBS more or GB?  Thank you.
An EGD is a comprehensive evaluation of the upper digestive tract, and would rule out obtruction as well as ulcers that can lead to nausea.

An ejection fraction of 90% would make the gallbladder a less likely cause.  

I would consider more specialized testing like a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for gastroparesis and esophageal motility studies to evaluate for motility disorders - which can also cause nausea.  You can also consider obtaining blood tests as well as a CT scan to evaluate the pancreas.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Very interesting comments.  Could the pancreas cause discomfort around the ribs and sometimes a feeling of a ball behind the right ribs.  There is also some pain right at the tip of the sternum while eating.  Any relation?  Thank you.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem