Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Need help...

Hi, I am 31 years old and overweight but losing.  I have been diagonised with GERD, and an hiatal hernia.  The only thing is that I have chest pain with it.  I have a couple of ekgs abnormal but my stress test and echo was okay.  I was also told that I have costochondritis.  Does the above conditions cause your heart rate to go up and down, went to er and heart rate was 114, 82, 52, 77, 86,111ect?  I am just wondering if your stomach can cause your heart rate to flucuate like this thanks so much
I also have to go to the bathroom when I get chest pain, at times it "(the pain)is sharp sometimes dull, sometimes squeezing.  Into shoulder and back and left arm thanks again.
Dear Christine,
If you have a chance to review our archives, you will find many postings from patients with esophageal reflux who have irregularities of heart rate.  At present, we do not have an explanation for this association.  The heart rate changes that you describe are not very large and could reflect increases due to exertion, activity, change in position or anxiety.  Sometimes having pain can increase the heart rate.
Welcome to the world of GERD.  Have you had an endoscopy done yet?  This is how they found my Barrette's and hiatal hernia.  I have the chest pain and been the ER three times thinking I was having a heart attack.  I have passed EKG's and stress test.  I go this after noon for the results of my last nuclear stress test.  I have high blood pressure, my ears ring.  I have been like this for four years and would love to have it all stop.  Your mind is your worst enemy. This is one scary sickness.  I have never been sick a day in my life and know I am 49 and worry about seeing 50.  My wife is getting tired of hearing about it.  That
Hi Keith!

I know  EXACTLY how you feel.  My husband says that I am driving him crazy.  I have been to the ER twice.  The first time my heart rate was going up and down the second time I was told that I have costochondritis.  Does your heart rate go up and down?  and sometimes my heart races, I have been told that GERD can cause it.  I had three abnormal ekgs but passed the stress test and echo.  So I was told that the ekgs were wrong.  Good luck on your test and let me know how things are?  P.S. Does your chest hurt like mine, into shoulder, back, left arm ect.?Thanks and Pulling for you!
Christine HI,
Well, I passed another stress test.  I told the Dr that if I ever do have a heart attack that I would probably sit there and die.  He said that everyone has there own "set" of pains.  If those include your left should and while exercising, you right should hurts, stop, and get help.  I am for the sake of knowing, and good insurance, in July I am going to have my heart catheterized.  This will be a finale test.  My heart does not race at all.  I do have pains in my chest, left shoulder, and left arm.  It hurts through the body and comes out my back and my side.  This is why the test.  It seems to have all started from a pressure under my left lower ribs.  It has been 4 years ago and is still driving my crazy.  I feel that I am driving my wife crazy but she still says she here to support.  She still goes to the Dr appointments with me and asks questions.
Keith -

you said it started as a pressure under your left lower ribs.  I think my symptoms are similar.  I had been diagnosed with GERD but the pain was always in the center of my ribs, just where they end.  The GERD has been behaving for the past year and I haven't had any real big flare ups.  I treated myself with herbs and a change of diet, because I didn't  think the idea of bloscking by stomach acid production was good.

Anyway - around the beginning of December of this past year, I started having dull ache, pressure pain and soimetimes twinge like a gas pain in my abdomen below my lower left rib in between the rib and navel area.  The skin was also very sensitive to the touch.  The pain would go into my side making my side very tender and my mid back muscles would spasm, too.  Moving, sitting up from a reclining position, laughing, talking, bearing down - all these things hurt in that area.  I also have pain in my left groin (feels like a groin pull).

In the past week, I have begun having tightness weakness in my left arm all the way down to my hand.  My grip also feels weak.  I'm now wondering if I don't have a pinched nerve in my back that could be causing all of this (as I do also have scoliosis).  I am having xrays for that today.

I have had numerous other tests all of which so far have come back "normal" (CT scan, IVP, Ultrasound, blood work...).  3 doctors I have seen (my primary care internist, a gynocologist, and a gastroenterologist) all gave different diagnoses, so no one agrees.  It is making me very anxious, scared and crazy (not to mention depressed), and I too have been driving my partner nuts about it.  The gastroenterologist  asked me a few questions , pressed on my abdomen a bit, told me it was muscular and sent me home to take advil.  The gyno told me he thought it was visceral -- had something to do with my organs (not gyocological), my primary care originally thought I had a kidney stone.  Go figure!

You say you've hadthis pain for 4 years! Has it been persistent - there all the time to greater or lesser degrees?  What exactly does the pain currently feel like in your abdomen, or has that gone away?  If you get any answers from the next test and they give you a definitive diagnosis, could you please post back here and let us know.  Any clues would possibly be greatly helpful to a whole bunch of us.

Thanks for any answers / advice and keep hanging in there!

Carol D.
Hi Keith!  
That is what the doctor told me about the heart catherization, Right now, I don't have the nerve, but I understand what you told your dr.  I told mine that it would be awful that I get used to the pain and ignore and die of a heart attack!  I wish you the absolute best.Feel free to email me if you just need to talk, ***@****

Hi Carol,
Have you ever been checked for a hiatal hernia?  I sympathize with the different diagnoises, it is enough to drive you crazy!  Good luck and let me know if they find out anything.  Feel free to email me.  Good Luck.

Dear Dr.

Thanks for the advice.  It is truly appreciated.
Ive been on propulcid and prilosic for over a year.Reflux,I
   can handle. I fighting with the,halitosis.Brought on by the
   reflux,any Ideas? Its running me nuts.The worst of it is Iam
   not aware,of the problem unless,someone informs me....
     Thanks.
Hi: Sounds like I have The same Problem many of you people suffer with Gerd and Hiatal Hernia. My doctor said mine is also motility . I'm on propulsid 20mg 4 times a day. I am thinking about stopping propulsid since the F.D.A report came out monday.I was on 10 mg 4times a day but that was doing no good. But since I'm on the 20 mg things are moving better. My Doctor thinks the propulsid is very save if used correctly. I'm going next week for a EKG. I have been told Regan is not nearly as good as propulsid. Does anyone know of anything else that might work. My Doctor is not very helpful, because he said there is nothing else to offer me. The only thing I can eat without Regurgitating is toast. He said surgery would make things worse. I had the scope done in December. I can not figure out why my food comes back up I'm talking after 10 hours my food still comes back up undigested. Water will not even stay down. Any one with any advice please help me. IS PROPULSID SAFE IF A PERSON HAS NO HEART PROBLEMS.
                                        Sue
I just found this forum last night and find it very sad that so many people are suffering and can't be diagnosed. After 6 years of this I believe it is a syndrome, not a disease and that is what makes it so difficult to diagnose. There isn't a symptom listed that I don't or haven't had - left arm pain and numbness, excessive belching, pain below the sternum and to the left, numbness in lower right leg, abdominal pressure, high blood pressure during what I now call 'spells', a husband I'm driving nuts, trips to the ER, constant ringing in my ears (usually indicates by BP is on the rise) and anxiety attacks - to mention a few. I've even had gout and shingles. I've had every test in the book including an angiogram, endoscopy, stress tests, MRI's, complete blood and urine tests - all inconclusive. The only absolute is that I am now hypoglycemic - the result of the fight or flight theory. My former cardiologist prescribed Carafate and it worked well - for awhile. I won't take Reglan or most of the other drugs because of the side effects and I think they just address the symptom but not the problem. I then went the herbal route taking Digestaway and charcoal - both of which helped tremendously but didn't elimate the problem as I'm just coming off another spell. I had 6 good weeks though and will continue with the herbs and be more aware of the stress factor. I think it's the key so I'm going to start taking kava kava again - don't know why I stopped. I guess I just felt better.
FOUR WEEKS AGO 12/25/99 I HAD LAPROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR HERNIA REPAIR AND ACID REFLUX DESEASE.  I HAVE NOT TAKEM A PREVICID
(MEDICATION FOR REFLUX AND INDEJESTION) HAVE NOT HAD HEARTBURN OR REFLUX SINCE SURGERY.  IT INVOLVES REPAIRING THE HERNIA AND WRAPPING THE STOMACH AROUND THE ESOPHAGUS.  THIS PREVENTS THE REFLUX.  I STILL HAVE SOME GAS, BUT HAVE BEEN ASSURED THAT IT WILL GO AWAY IN 6 TO 8 WEEKS.  IT WAS HARD TO SWALLOW AT FIRST BUT NOW I EAT ANYTHING I WANT AND DON'T GET HEARTBURN. I CAN ALSO SWALLOW BETTER NOW.I FEEL BLOATED MOST OF THE TIME AND MY DOCTOR ASSURED ME THAT THAT TOO WILL PASS. IT IS WONDERFUL NOT TO HAVE HEARTBURN WHICH I WOULD GET FROM ANY AND ALL FOOD.THE PROCEDURE INVOLVED 4 SMALL CUTS. I WILL WRITE AGAIN AT THE END OF THE 8 WEEKS AND LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BLOATING AND GAS. TO ME THE SURGERY WAS UNCOMFORTABLE BUT WORTH IT.

I can relate to SO many of you.  The middle of the chest pain, reflux, belching, left arm and shoulder pain, back pain.  All with no answers either.  Been to the ER, have had EKG done, stress test, Zantac and other meds, and then was told I had gallstones.  Had the gallbladder removed 4 months ago and when asked to see the gallstones, was told there weren't any!  Just sand particles.  I actually have had more back/arm/chest pain since the surgery than before tho I was told it would CERTAINLY take care of much of my pain.  Its been a rollercoaster ride.  Along with the daily, unpredictable pain has come the depression and anxiety of not knowing what is happening.  Its been 4 years of drs, tests, worry, and no answers.  Its taken its toll on my spouse and children.  I would like some herbal/natural suggestions since I have tried so many meds and most have negative side effects.  Now I have been told I have a pinched nerve and scoliosis (which I knew about but was not a problem).  Can a pinched nerve cause this much trouble?  Can stress cause that much havoc?  Is it GERD?  I had the endoscopy and was told it was normal.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem