Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Oil with BM

I noticed quite some time ago (6 months or so) that along with my bowel movements there seemed to be an oil or grease slick on the water in the bowl.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  However yesterday I had BM that was very pale in color, today I had some diareah, however i did have 5 or 6 cocktails last night with O.J. and all i had to eat was 3 chicken wraps with apple celery and raw spinach, so the diareah was not much of a concern and not pale.  I only am now getting concerned as I have been on the internet looking for this and what i find does not describe what i am seeing except for some weight loss, which i have attributed to cutting way back on my drinking and calorie intake (last night was the most i have had to drink in a few months).  The oil is not in the stool nor do i see any mucous or if their is it is not readily evident.  The lightness of yesterdays really threw me for a loop as i have never seen anything of that sort before.  I did have unsafe hetersexual intercourse with a stranger 9 weeks ago (i am male), hiv test at 9 weeks is negative, which dr. hhh tells me is golden.  I really don't have any other "symptoms" other than the fact that i constantly deal with postnasal drip and phlegm, which has always been there.

I guess my question is this, should the oil (looks like someone put a small amount of vegetable oil in water) i see be causing me concern?
Weight loss as well as oily stools can be caused by various malabsorption syndromes, inflammatory bowel disease, or chronic pancreatitis.  

Sending the stool off for analysis and culture can be considered, as well as a lower endoscopy to look for malabsorption or IBD.  Blood tests can be considered to evaluate the pancreatic enzymes (as well as possibly imaging the pancreas), as well as antibodies looking for celiac disease.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Thank you for your prompt answer, much appreciated.  Another weird thing, I ate asparagus last night and my urine doesn't have that distinctive smell that usually occurs.  I will be following up with my doctor, however i can't get in until next week.
Also, would diabetes be of concern?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem