Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

On going abdominal pain and nausea

Dear Drs.

I been having on and off again stomach issues for the past three years now. I am now 21. At 18 in 2006 I had a upper Endoscopy and it came back normal. In 2007 I had a CT-Scan which came back normal just showed swollen  Lymph Nodes. Three weeks ago I had a Gastric Emptying Study Test which came back normal and two weeks ago I had a HIDA + EF Scan that came back normal also.

I been having pain in the middle of my stomach that radiates to the left and right side. I been having nausea and some of the time belching and with certain foods I can smell what I ate when I belch or taste it up to a hour or 2  or more after eating. I mainly feel this symptoms within 5-25 minutes after eating I feel nauseous with pain in my stomach. I sometimes go to bed feeling sick or wake up feeling sick. I also go three days without having a bowel movement, and when I do, I am in and out of the bathroom around 10 times in like 2 hours.

I been getting test after test. It's affecting me that I am not in school or working. I use to have panic attacks and anxiety until around the age 17 which it calmed down after that. My parents say it's all stress and anxiety, but I am taking Ativan twice a day 1 mg morning and night and I tried working out to see if it would help if it were to be stress and I feel the same and been on many other anxiety and antidepressants which all haven't made me feel any better. I had a kidney infection in April of this year but got tested for it again in June while still feeling pain but it also came back normal. I know I am not pregnant for sure. I am not sexual active. I feel helpless and running out of options. Can you please give me your opinion on what I should do next or what you think it may be?

Thank you,

Suzette.
You have had a comprehensive evaluation for your symptoms, and I agree with the diagnostic approach.

Other tests to consider would be a 24-hr pH study to exclude GERD and an esophageal motility study to evaluate for motility disorders.

Regarding the lymph nodes seen on the CT scan, you can consider a surgical evaluation to see if a biopsy is warranted.

If the GI tests remain negative, obtaining a neurological workup can be considered, as causes here can lead to chronic nausea.  Head imaging with a CT scan or MRI can be considered.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem