Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Pain after Gallbladder Removal

I have been suffering for 2 years.  I had my gallbladder removed
and the pain returned 2 months to the day.  I have had MRI, Endoscope, ERCP, Cat Scan, Ultra Sound.  I went to a pain management clinic and an Osteopath and even tried Acupunture

I've seen the top Gastro Doc at MGH in Boston and no one can diagnose what is wrong with me.  They left me with only one choice exploratory surgery.

Can someone email me what test they can do which will show
what this is.  It's like they never took the damm thing out.

I am reaching the end of the line.  I can't take it anymore.

I haven't slept well for 2 years.  2-4 hr  a day.

I stopped taking all the pain medicine they gave me because it
was just masking the systoms that something is really wrong.

If anyone knows a good doctor in the Boston area that can help me
please email it back to me.

The pain stays in one place right hand side just under the rib cage ( where my gallbladder used to be )

HELP ME
thanks
I have had the same thing happen to me, except that my pain never stopped even after the gallbladder was removed. It radiates into the chest and back area and is quite disabling.  I have to wait 6 months to see a specialist because of backlog.  My problem is that I have no other symptoms except pain, and the doctors don't take it very seriously. I want more testing done and don't really know what else to ask for since I have had just about everything done.  I truly believe the pain I have is something pre-existing to the gallbladder condition. My doctor thinks it may be sphincter of oddi dysfunction, but I was told by the person who did the Hida scan that it would have shown up there. So I am at a loss as well.  If you have any luck with your surgery please let us know.  Good luck!
Sphincter of Oddi usually can be determined with an ERCP with monometry, have you had this done?  I don't know whether it will accurately show with a HIDA scan.  If you think this may be your problem, I've pasted some information about this below.  You may have developed pancreatitis as a result of the SOD.

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction

Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction and papillary stenosis are conditions which occur when this sphincter (opening) mechanism is disturbed. When the hole is too tight, there is a backup of bile and pancreatic juices. This can cause pain (biliary colic). More prolonged obstruction may result in bile leaking back into the blood stream, resulting in abnormalities of the liver function tests, or even yellow jaundice (discoloration of the eyes and skin). Also, blockage to the pancreatic orifice can cause pancreatic pain or attacks of pancreatitis.

Papillary Stenosis can be caused by passage of stones, or scarring after treatments (e.g. endoscopic or surgical sphincterotomy). Papillary stenosis usually results in sufficient backup of bile flow that there is stretching (dilatation) of the bile duct. This can be recognized by scans and various x-rays, including ERCP. Papillary stenosis requires endoscopic or surgical treatment. The hole is enlarged by cutting, to improve drainage. Occasionally it is necessary to do a surgical bypass (choledochoduodenostomy, or Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy) to insure that drainage is effective.

Spasm of the Sphincter

This is a more difficult problem. It may be one
I would like to thank you for sharing what you are going through reguarding you gallbladder, because I am going throught the same thing at this time.

I have have my gallbladder removed one year and three months now but the pain only stopped a little while.  At first I thought this was a sever case of gas and that I could have been going crazy because my gallbladder was gone.  The pain has gotten so bad that I've have to vist the ER several time this year, there hasn't been anything such as pain medication or any other type of medication that has helped with my pain at all.  Now my doctor is dicussing surgery again and to tell you the truth I am very scared.  I am only 26 years old and I've never had any kind of medical problems until now and I didn't know weather or not another surgery was a good idea.  I've had every test there is for me to take and all of them have come back normal.  Right now I'm at the point of frustration and I'm willing to try what every it take to stop the pain and get my life back.

Please Help,

Bluitt
I have been diagnosed with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Like countless others I went through many tests and saw many Drs trying to find an answer to my pain. It was horrible pain that I wound wish for anyone. I spend almost every night for a year and a half sleeping sitting up in a chair. There were times when the pain was so bad I would force myself to throw up just for relief of the pain. It lasted 20 minutes or so - then come right back. I finally was refered to the borland groover clinic in Jacksonville Florida to have an ERCP with menometry done. The pressure in my bile duct was way up and had the sphincterotomy done. What a relief!!! I did get pancreatitis which I think was a small price to pay to get rid of the pain. Now 6 months later my pancreas is acting up and will probably have to go in and have the other ducts looked at. They don't like to go in too far, because of the risk involved, but its clear they need to now. Anyone who is experiencing such pain after gallbladder should never give up on getting the right diagnoses. It is terrible to go to Drs for help only to come out with the diagnoses of IBS which is so way off from this pain.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I did suspect pancreatitis because the pain symptoms were similar, however, I don't seem to have all the other symptoms that come with it. I am going to investigate this further on Wednesday.
Is malabsorption always a symptom of this disorder?  Thanks again for your reply.
Malabsorption is usually only a problem with chronic pancreatitis, but not acute pancreatitis.  Even then, not all chronic patients have this problem.  The symptoms of chronic pancreatitis are pasted below.  Some people have all the symptoms, some people just a few, each case is different, and that's why it is such a difficult condition to diagnose.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem