Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Pain below right side of chest after GB surgery

Quick question...I had my GB removed about three weeks ago.  Twice now I have had a strange pain that I have never had before.  I get the feeling like I have been shot right where the GB was.  It comes on suddenly, and then tapers off.  It takes my breath away!  It happened on my lunch (I am a teacher) and then in the car the other day.  My husband was scared!  It is the kind of pain that makes you stop and double over.  What the heck is that????  Is it a spasam of some sort?  If so, from where?  I have never had this before.  Just as a quick history...my GB was removed because I had stones.  Doctor said it was inflamed, as well.  Otherwise I have felt fine.  No more GB type symptoms.  Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
Anne
This happened to me too.  It has been 4 months since my GB was out and this weekend I was getting the same symptoms like you.  What could this be?
hmm, maybe a stone in a liver duct ? or a stone stuck in the
oddi-sphincter ? Although that should assumedly give
slowly increasing pain as the pressure increases...
I have the EXACT same problem.  I had my gallbladder out 4 months ago and about 1 month ago the pains started.  It makes me sweat profusely and hurts so bad that I feel like I could pass out.  My gastroenterologist thinks it's an ulcer and has me on Pepcid.  Although taking TUMS seems to make the pains go away about 80% of the time...about 20% of the time nothing helps.  Since I have been on Pepcid it seems like the pains are less frequent...only about 2-3 times/week rather than 4-5 times/week before the Pepcid.  It happens with all types of food...spicy, non-spicy, bland, fatty, non-fatty...I can't connect it to anything in particular.  The next step is to have a Pepida Scan to see if there is scarring where my gallbladder was removed.
I had my GB removed in May 2002. I didnt have any problems for about a month or two..and then the pain came back..only this time I felt like I was being impaled in the front..or someone was poking me very hard with a stick or something. My doc did an ERCP in Oct 2002 where they stick this thing down your throat and explore your bile ducts, etc. The results from that were that I had "sand" type granuals in my b. ducts so he cleared that out, did a schpincterotomy. I felt GREAT...until about two weeks ago. Now its the same pain as before but now it is also on the left side! I get the chills every night to the point that my teeth chatter. No naseua, heartburn, vomiting or reflux. I saw my primary doc Monday and they did some blood work that they claim is not back yet ( isnt 5 days a little long??) . He gave me some Tylanol 3 for the pain. The Tylanol didnt help at all so I called my GI doc and he told me to take Bentyl ( it was originally prescribed to me for intestinal spasms) and see if that helps. Guess what? It IS helping me. I dont know how or why..but it does help me. You might want to ask your doc about Bentyl and ask him if he thinks it might help. I am really upset that this pain is back again and I think my doc is frustrated, too. Sometimes I feel like an old car that has a new problem every week! Why wont this ever go away!?!?
MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PAIN AFTER G/B REMOVEL I WAS BEGINING TO THINK THEY HAD DESCOVERED MY GALLSTONES BY ACCIDENT AND REMOVED THE G/B BUT THAT IT HADN'T BEEN THE PROBLEM AFTER ALL MY DISTRIC NURSE IS CALLING TOMORROW SO I CAN KNOW FEEL QUIET SANE TELLING HER ABOUT THIS PAIN I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON
ive been hurting simmular to this first once in a while for the first 4 months now all  the time i get very nauseaed and weak.i feel like the pains never going to go away and sometimes i even feel that i could die from it if they dont find out whats wrong its nice to know im not alone.nd it would have been nice if before i had the lap.gallbladder removal i could have been informed on these kinda problems other wise i would have perfered a old fashion gallbladder surgery with a six inch scare that dont cause me long lasting pain.because sometimes the pain hurts even worse on every deep breath i take.living like this is unbearable.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem