Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Pancreatitis????

It's been a while since I have felt the need to post anything on this forum.  

I had my gallbladder removed in April of 2001.  After that I continued to have pains in my right side that would come and go.  In November of last year I had an ERCP where they didn't find any stones in the bile duct or anything but ended up with Pancreatitis and hospitalized for 4 days and out of work several weeks.  Then the pains subsided and other than having terrible Acid Reflux I didn't appear to have any problems.  Then out of the blue last Friday around noon time I started getting terribly nausiated.  I thought that I might be coming down with the flu.  Since Friday I continue to get nausiated after eating ANYTHING and continually have a nagging pain in my upper right side which gets worse after I eat.  The pain shoots through to my back.  The only time I remember having pains like this was when I was hospitalized with Pancreatitis after having an ERCP done last November.  I went to my primary care physician yesterday.  He seems to think that it might be pancreatitis and that I should go back to my gastrointerologist.

Could a pancreatic attack happen out of the clear blue sky?  Does anyone think this is what it might be???  I'm anxious to hear from others.  Thanks for your time.  Have a WONDERFUL Day!!!

The exact thing has happened to me.  I had my gallbladder removed at the sametime that you did.  In the past 4 months, Ihave had attacks, too. I get nauseated and have diarrhea and then throw up.  I am to go and see my gastro Dr. next Weds.  I hope that I can find out something.  Someone told me that it could be your sphincter of Oddi having spasms.  All I know is that I feel like I would rather die than suffer through another one of these attacks.  Let me know if you find out anything.
There is a distinct possibility that this could be pancreatitis again, based on your previous history.  After having it once, some people seem to be more prone to having repeated attacks, and then often they develop chronic pancreatitis as a result.  And yes, it can just come out of the blue like that, but it's more likely that SOMETHING triggered this episode, you just haven't been able to identify what it is.  The pain does radiate to the back with an attack.  

I don't suspect an SOD problem, though, usually the SOD attack is fast, severe and totally debilitating during it's brief duration.  A "knock you on the floor" type of pain, up in the sternum.  A pancreatitis attack usually starts more with a nagging, continually discomforting pain, with nausea, and can be on the right, middle or left part of the upper abdomen, beneath the ribs.

I agree with your PCP, you should go back to your gastroenterologist and have him check you thoroughly.  For your sake, I hope it's not become chronic, but it's best to find out what it is now and take care of it before it gets worse.  Good luck.
Nanny
I think I am in the same boat with you, I got my gall bladder out in July of this year, I recover well and fast but the last 3 months I have been feeling nauseous and with a pain in my right side, some days I feel better and some other I feel so sick, I have had and endoscopy, ultrasound  and everything is normal, yesterday I had a can scan w/ and with out contrast and I hope my  GT can find what's wrong with me. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW.
I have been searching for answers and I have been reading , and is always a good reason to get pancreatitis but the attack is with out notice. hope you get better and let me know the latest news.
Sounds like we are all pretty much in the same boat.  

My story is so close to those listed.  I had my gallbladder out in July 2002 and was hospitalized again in September.  I had pancreatitis at the time I had my gallbladder removed and have been through just about every test and NOTHING shows up.  I have not had an ERCP yet.  I dont' think my gastro wants to do one until I see a specialist in December.  With all the risks involved he would rather me just have one done.  

My Gastro is thinking SOD because I present with classic pain symptoms.  I have noticed recently that my right sided pain is now radiating into the left side also.  Not as much or as often but occassionally I'll get that stabbing pain under my left rib.

Hopefully come December I'll get some answers.  If anyone find anything out please post.  I know we would all be interested in learning more about what this could be.

TAKE CARE
I know your symptoms are so similar to mines, I have so many question and my doctor seems to be lost.
Do you fell sick all the time?, I don't. some days I am better and the pain in my right is not constant. the nauseous are some day worst than other ones, my skin is getting affected like w/ a rush (can be the weather..). also I have been having the same pain in my left side, is not to painful and just for a short period of time. I had my CT scan last Tuesday I will see my doctor next weak, I hope they finally find the problem. I will let you know....
Please go back to jillybean's question : "Real bad stomach pain' & read bebbie's comment..... Maybe it will help?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem