Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Peritonitis

I wrote to you in Nov about some problems I had been experiencing.  I spent 2 weeks in hospital in Sept with localised peritonitis, with the doctors saying I'd had a perforated ulcer that had sealed itself and was treated with IV antibiotics.
Anyway I won't go into all the details of that, but I was referred to a gynacologist who didn't think there were any abnormalities in that area apart from a small cyst on my left ovary.  However, subsequent scans started to show up a mass on my right side which no-one was sure what it was.
The consultant decided that surgery had finally become necessary to see what the mass was.
I had surgery on the 17th Jan and ended up having a sub-total hysterectomy and a bilateral salphingo oopherectomy, which shocked me somewhat as I'd been told there were no abnormalities in this area.  Also my bowels were in a mess and had to be sorted out.  the surgeon said it must have been a very bad infection I'd had in Sept. as it had caused such damage. He also said there was no sign of an ulcer, but still couldn't locate the source of the infection.
What I really would like to know is it likely that the infection could have caused the damage to my ovaries, uterus, cervix etc.
I would appreciate your comments on this.
Tough to give predictions without knowing the specifics of your case.  Untreated abscess or pelvic inflammatory disease can certainly cause scarring and damage to the organs.  

However, there is also the possibility that the infection may not be associated with what was going on with the uterus/ovaries - an independent gynecological disease (i.e. endometriosis) can also lead to the symptoms without evidence of prior infection.  

If this continues to be a concern, you can present your case to another physician for a second opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Thank you for your prompt reply.
The surgeon did mention a possible pelvic abscess but no evidence of one.
I get the results of the tests they did on the uterus etc on Wed so maybe that will show up something that caused the peritonitis.
Otherwise I think it is going to remain a mystery.
FOr my own piece of mind I would like to have known what had caused the infection as I would hate for it to happen again as it took me a long time to recover from it, in fact it was worse than the surgery I've just had.
But I am getting better and probably the best thing is to move on and put it all behind me now.

I would just like to say that I think this is an excellent web site and thank you for the advice you have given me.
Sometimes it is difficult to discuss everything with a consultant and being able to write it down and ask more questions on your website is very helpful.
I will certainly use the website again if needed.
To M.D.-KYP
Just thought I'd let you know I've had my final appointment with my consultant.
He is very pleased with my recovery and doesn't think I should have any more problems.
The mass on the right side that had been showing up on the ultrasound scans was where the tubes and ovaries had all got stuck to the bowel- caused by the peritonitus in Sept.
and needed a lot of work to sort things out.
So after 5 months I am on the mend.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem