Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Post Gallbladder surgery pain.

I had my gall bladder removed in early December VIA the laproscopy method.  My recovery has been relatively uneventful with the exception to the fact that I cannot lay on my left side. This position causes me to have a burning, crampy  pain in my chest cavity as well and in and around the area of my right shoulder and up  the right side of my neck.   The pain is so intense that it actually causes me to be unable to breathe and I need to change position immediately.

Should I be concerned or is this a common symptom after this type of surgery and if so,  how long until it goes away?    

Thank you very much for any help that you may offer.

Lisa
Dear Lisa,
It is unusual to have severe pains after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.  The pains that you describe are not typical for  ulcer disease, pancreatitis or common bile duct stones.  If you are having frequent pains or if the pain is interfering with your normal activities, then you should revisit your physician
Hi Lisa,  I had my gallbladder removed same way, but was done in August 1999.  I have had intense pain through both sides of my upper back since I woke up from the surgery.  I have tried to tell the doctors about this - I also have the pain in through my shoulders and my neck.  I am having another scope done 1/20 along with biopsies.  I don't understand why I have the pain in through my back either, especially since it has been there since I woke up from the surgery.  Maybe they can tell me something after the scope this Thursday.  Good Luck!!  
Janice S.
I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago.  I get severe pain at the early morning hours.  I take tagament which helps with the pain.  I just had a Barriam swallow test done which shows gird. Acid reflux disease.  It is common to have pain especially if you eat fatty or greasy foods such as ice cream, pizza, chinese etc.
I had lapriscoic gallbladder removal in early December.  For years I suffered what I thought was heartburn or reflux or maybe a hiatal hernia.  I would get a lot of pain in the middle of my chest around the solar plexus and it would radiate into my upper chest. I am 39 years old and I must of had this pain for about 10-12 years.  The past couple of years I have put on some weight and the pains got worse.  My doctor put me in the hospital last year to rule out my heart.  6 months later I had an endoscopy which showed nothing.  A couple of months later I wound up in the emergency room with the most sever pain of my life. (and I have had several kidney stones) The pain was in the middle and right side of my abdomen.  My liver enzymes went through the roof and they told me it was a gallstone.  Luckily the stone passed but they told me the gallbladder had to come out.  

Since the surgery all the pain that I had been having  over the years is gone. The surgery was painfull for the first few days but the recovery went by quick.  Now I still feel a little week but I am ok and for the first time pain free.

It turns out my gallbladder was filled with stones and not working.  How could the doctors mis diagnose me for that long. Over the years I must have taken a million antacids or thought I was having a heart attack a hundred times. The doctors excuse is that my symptoms were not typical gallbladder sypmtoms. It took winding up in the hospital in what could have been a life threatening situation to figure out what was wrong. So if any of you are experiencing the same type of pain as I did, having my gallbladder removed has taken away the pain.
I hope this is helpfull to someone.

If you have any questions you can Email me at ***@****
My wife had the gallbladder removed thru optiscoptic surgery and has had absolutlly no pain. I don't think that pain is normal after surgury and you should again visit your doctor
I also had my gall bladder removed after suffering with debilitating pain between my shoulder blades.  Once I recognized that the pain usually came after certain meals I offered that info to my Dr. who ordered and ultra sound test.  I had the gall bladder removed back in 1993 but have recently (within the past 6 months) experienced the same awful pain between my shoulder blades.  I was told by a friend (with no medical experience) that I might actually have a gall stone in the ducts that are left behind after surgery.  I had never heard of this before. It certainly was never mentioned by my doctor.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this?  How can I find out for sure if it's a stone causing all this pain?  Another ultra sound? and then surgery?

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem