Prevacid and Osteoporosis

eje
I am a 60 year old Black female and have used 30mg Prevacid last 10 years for severe acid reflux/very good results. Prior to Prevacid had used prescription Pepcid and B4 that Tagamet. Diagnosed with osteoporsis of the spine in 2002.Hip is normal.I recently became concerned with Prevacid use.I have chosen not to take Fosamax or Elasta/tried Elasta(had hot flashes/leg cramps & UTI all within 2 weeks)so stopped. Fosamax side effects frighten me especially with the unproven results.Have continued calcium supplements 750-1000mg daily along with increased calcium in the diet.I am small boned/small stature and many questions have been raised about misdiagnosis when small framed.Also, I take .3mg Premarin (that dosage was recently lowered from .625mg because of all the negative reports on HRT meds). What other options are available with these issues? The acid reflux and the osteoporsis medications are conflicting and there seem to be no positive long term results on any of the osteoporosis drug treatments.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The study linking PPIs and osteoporosis is shaky at best.  I would not use this study to discontinue PPIs.  Normally, routine bone density screening would determine whether further action is warranted.  If the bone density is low, Fosamax is indeed a good choice.  

If Fosamax cannot be tolerated, Evista or miacalcin nasal spray can be considered.  

Routine monitoring of the bone density is the best recommended course of action.

These options can discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Can PPI's Cause Osteoporosis? was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Causes of osteoporosis was started.
Helpful - 0
are you saying prevacid could cause osteoporosis?
Prevacid is not meant to be taken for 10 years,I am surprised you dont have complications??
I stopped taking prevacid,nexium,prilosec,zanatc.peptic etc,I just watch what I eat and stop eating after 6 pm and have a glass of water on nitestand,my problem has gradually improved.
Also keep your bowel moving,very important.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, does prevacid cause osteoporosis and depression was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, 50 yr male w/ osteoporsis, Prevacid use was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem