Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Problems since gallbladder removal in 1994

I am a 50 year old male, about 30 pounds overweight but otherwise healthy. In 1994 I had my gallbladder removed. Every since then I have been having spells of this strange illness. First, I start belching a
There can be several possibilities.  One can be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction - which can present with gallbladder-type pain in those after gallbladder surgery.  An ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry can be considered to evaluate this.

Other upper GI disorders, like an ulcer, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, or GERD can also be considered.  This can be evaluated with an upper endoscopy.

Gastroparesis should also be evaluated with a gastric emptying scan.

A GI physician at a major academic medical center should be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I read your letter and I'm glad that someone else is having the same problem.I can't stand it anymore the feeling of being sick.
What have you decided to do.I'm at my wits end.
I am not sure what to do. I just want to know "why" the "rotten egg" when belching, and what is causing it. Is it fatty food, is it stress, what is it? I did not get a good answer from this doctor, I guess I wasted $16.00. Honestly, I don't know what to do. What are you symptoms? Do you know what sets them off?
Hi bioya. I read your post. & I would like to tell U about my experience.  I am a 48 year old female. But at age 18 my gallbladder ruptured.  I had been having gallbladder attacks since the age of 16. Believe it or not. I had an appointment to have my gallbladder surgery a week after it ruptured. I guess it couldn't wait. (smile)   The point I'm getting at is this.  Did yours rupture or did U just have a normal gallbladder removal?  See what happened to me was. I had to stay in the hospital for 10 days back then. That's how serious my rupture was. & to think! I even drove myself to the hospital & crawled on hands & knees into the ER.   As U can probably guess. I was completely jaundice by then. Anyhow. Once released from the hospital I felt so much better!  Then about 3 months down the road. I started having gallbladder attacks again!!  This was impossible I told myself. I don't have a gallbladder any longer!  I went from Dr. to Dr. trying to find out what was wrong with me. They never could find anything!  A few even told me it was all in my head. Well I don't think falling on the ground rolling around in pain is in a persons head.   A few doctors I went to even tried to put me on Antidepressants!   Heck! I wasn't depressed! I was in real pain!   Finally 9 months after my surgery & all the tons of new  non-gallbladder attacks I was having. I went back to see the surgeon who preformed  the gallbladder removal on me. & just by luck while in his office. I had one of those awful attacks!   They got me back into the hospital & ran a light down me & there it was!!!  It turns out that they missed 2 of the stones that went their own merry way when my gallbladder ruptured.  & the little stinkers were hiding in a duct in my liver!!!!   The Dr. took a couple of lil tools . One with a basket & dug them both out & brought them back up in the basket!  It's been years  & I have never had an attack since! & this is a very very true story!!! That's why I asked U if your gallbladder ruptured or not. if it did. A couple of the stones could still be floating around in there like mine was.  I can tell U this though. I am so glad I didn't listen to the doctors that tried to tell me it was all in my head!!!  (big grin)   I hope U find help soon. Dont give up! I didn't & I found the cause & had it taken care of.  ~Weebee~
No, mine did not rupture. I think I may ask to have a test to see if I have any stones somewhere undetected..... Good point. Thanks
I am a 28-yr-old female and had my gallbladder removed in january of 2006. I also experience pain in the upper midline of the abdomen and nausea, with an excessive amount of gas or air trapped in my stomach. I also get chest pains at times and the pain can also be felt in between my shoulders. I have noticed that if I eat chinese food or something fatty or greasy I get the pain worse and get rotten egg smelling flatulence. I guess we have to watch what we eat because the gallbladder stored bile to aid in the digestion process and now we may not be able to digest foods as well. I also notice that I have soft, frequent bowel movements on a daily basis since surgery. I also burp alot and do have acid reflux. I am about fed up with it all b/c the doctors say that they can't find anything wrong with me other than acid reflux and IBS. Please let me know if you experience the same symptoms as I do and let me know if you find any help. I will do the same. Take care!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem