Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Proton Pump Inhibitor Questions...

I was wondering if people who know about these drugs could post their results on them...I currently use Prevacid and get alot of bloating and gas from it...I have also tried Aciphex and get the same thing...The doctor gave me Protonix and Nexium but have not tried it yet...Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...BTW I suffer from gastritis/ulcer due to NSAID overuse...

djtech

I am on Protonix and have Chronic Pancreatitis.  I have noticed that I have increased gas and bloating from it and have only been on it for a week now. I hope that it gets better.

TazLady
Hmmm...Thats interesting that you get that as well with Protonix...I wonder if these Bloating/Gas side effects are not actually from the drug itself but from what effect it is having...In other words is it possible that these drugs are eliminating so much of the acid we use that digestion is not happening and the food that is undigested is causing the Gas/Bloating?  Because other than these two symptoms roughly, I have no problems with them...But trying to gain weight and eat alot when I feel this way is VERY, VERY difficult...That is why it is of so much concern....

DJ
I agree with the meds causing bloating and gas because I think they make the food harder to digest therefore resulting in excess gas.
I agree with everything you all said.

Acid blockers prevent absorption of important vitamins, minerals, & prevent digestion of proteins, etc. NERVE DAMAGE, etc. can result!

I'll do a "cut & paste" of some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS, without acid blockers, that may be helpful. Many people have found these tips helpful (including my husband and me).

******************************************************

Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD/Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Laryngospasm attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
I just want to let you know that I tried some of the things that Concerned Lady mentions, especially the DGL and I have not felt this good in years! I was on prilosec for over 3 years and I have been off of it since Feb. and I am managing my reflux very well. The DGL tablets are a godsend and they work way better than the prilosec ever did. Reflux no longer controls my life. I still eat healthy and avoid coffee and spicy foods. I cannot wait to go back to the gastro doc and tell him how I am doing. I strongle suggest trying the DGL to see if that helps you. I DO NOT miss the nasty side effects of prilosec and as I mentioned, the DGL controls the reflux better than prilo ever did. Good luck to all.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem